Hi, started a build with no solid plans. Built my strongback, laying out the ribs, got the spacing but hoping someone could give me a idea what to go with for the height for the side ribs. I`m thinking 2 ft (or less) in the frt and tapering smaller to the transom? (but how much). Does that make sense to get 2 sides out of the 4` ply?

Also someone suggested I dado the ribs so I started doing that. I got 2 done and decided it was a bad idea when it comes time to attach the chine with no meat to screw too. Any thoughts?

Can anyone suggest how high to set the ribs for the rocker, I`m guessing starting in the center? Thanks much, Mike

Views: 16842

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Good thought, I might look at moving that mount forward to he next frame space tonight, I could add one more pulley. By the weekend I can get the benches back in the boat and get a feel for it (before I drill any holes in the rails)

Thanks Tungsten, I ended up moving that jam cleat bracket forward a little to the next frame space. My boat is small so I wont get 3-4ft of pull, but I like the position way better. I had to make a new block to move it out farther to keep the rope off the frame.

I got my little pipe lock do-dittys tacked in place. I bought 1/4-20 bolts/washers and locknuts but thats way overkill. I`ll pick up some smaller bolts.

I need to touch up the varnish where I hacked that pc of wood off the transom for the rear bench, and hit that new jam bracket, but otherwise I`m gonna hold off any more varnish work till the weather breaks. Everything has some good base coats on it now.

Ive got a couple small changes to make, I want to nip the top corners of the knee lock board, install some latches to the bench compartments and I`m thinking of different seats so I`m not drilling any holes in the benches yet. So with the boat on hold very soon, Dorf is giving me some guidance on making some oars, and I`ll start getting the steel and parts together for a trailer.

Mike, For starting with no solid plans, you ended up with one heck of a fine looking DB. Can't wait to see how it floats!
Dorf

Thanks Phil, its well built and sealed, but I hope it trims out ok and floats well enough to fish out of. The floorboards got a couple coats of varnish, then 2 more with silica sand in it, then another coat over that. Up close they look a little frosty but have some real good grip, and from a little bit away just look like varnished boards

They are saying this week will hit and be in the 50`s all week with rain on Tues instead of snow. Pushed the boat out to give it some UV. Ha, really had to work on the old Blazer today. Nice to see it outside though

Using Dorfs oar blueprints, I`m gonna try these out of DF.

As for my Harbor Freight planer, getting a power tool from them is always taking a chance, and I knew from the start the motor was really loud and didnt sound quite right. I planed alot of wood with it and it did a decent job. It had a 90 day return policy so I took it back over the weekend, had them listen to it run, then got another one out of the box and we plugged it in. Sounded much better, so I got a new one. Much quieter motor, even though the planers are really loud anyway.

Mike

You've got a beautiful boat there! - not so sure about the planer ;-). 

Hmm, had to go back a little to find a reply button, hope this adds onto the end of the thread.

I scrapped the idea of using my old cushy boat seats with the metal swivels, the backs sit straight up and have no give at all. Ive been looking all week for some brown plastic seats like my green ones from the jon boat, and only place I could find them was Bass Pro, so I ordered a couple and some plastic quick release swivel mounts. I hope this set up works out.

Phil(Dorf) is up in this neck of the woods this weekend and is stopping by to get me started shaping the oars. Ive got the blanks all glued up and ready. Not sure the DF is the right material, I tried to router some and it just splinters, so If I have to sand them to shape so be it. Regardless, now I`ll get a handle on building these things, and maybe try something different later

I did put some ash tips on the ends for something tougher. A guy asked me if I was gonna glass the blades. I hadnt thought about that, was just going to epoxy them, but if anyone has a opinion on that would love to hear it. It doesnt seem like a bad idea

This little pile of steel is the start of a custom drift boat trailer :)

I`m kinda going with the plans laid out in the trailer thread on here, only changing the sizes some and maybe a couple small changes. I knew that thread was gonna come into play at some point. Getting some help from Dorf with it too, and using his connections for the axle/springs/parts

Boat looks great,after you feather the blades down yes i would glass the bottom 6" even epoxy mixed with chopped up glass like 1/4"chunks and a little  graphite for the black look.The rest of the oars i wouldnt bother with epo$y,just varnish or oil the rest.

Great weekend. Phil (Dorf) made me a visit on Sat., it didnt take much to put him to work on my oars ;)

But you know how those crafty craftsmen are, comes into a clean shop, has me bust out every tool I own, helps me get started making a huge mess, gets me well on my way.....then splits!!

We had a cool transition going from the shaft into the blade, but sorry Phil, when I got going on the 2nd one I messed that up so I went back and sanded out both of them to somewhat match.

I started putting some epoxy on them,

I`m gonna just go ahead and glass the blades. The DF is pretty soft, tough, to machine though. Hopefully they will last a while before I make another set, which now I can dive right into....Thanks Phil

Went to Michaels today and picked up some paracord, I was liking the bright colors like the flour green or pink, but I went with the black. I did a search on here on wrapping and found a cool link showing how easy it is. Ive gotta get some 2 sided tape and donuts yet. I`m still a ways away from doing that though.

Darn Mike,
You musta busted your butt getting the second oar done this weekend. They still look real good.
Was a fun time Sat working with you, Chili was great too.
See ya on the river,
Phil

Thanks, I worked late after you left and back at it this morning for most of the day. Cant thank you enough for helping me out, saved me a few hundred $, that can go toward the trailer. I hope you see me on the river in the frt of your nice boat in a few weeks (hint hint),lol I`ll bring lunch!! And of course those oars look pretty good, they are the PW High Performance design. I should be able to get up on a plane with these babys.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service