Hi, started a build with no solid plans. Built my strongback, laying out the ribs, got the spacing but hoping someone could give me a idea what to go with for the height for the side ribs. I`m thinking 2 ft (or less) in the frt and tapering smaller to the transom? (but how much). Does that make sense to get 2 sides out of the 4` ply?

Also someone suggested I dado the ribs so I started doing that. I got 2 done and decided it was a bad idea when it comes time to attach the chine with no meat to screw too. Any thoughts?

Can anyone suggest how high to set the ribs for the rocker, I`m guessing starting in the center? Thanks much, Mike

Views: 16842

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So when are you going fishing?

I`m still going hot and heavy (as I can) on this trailer. We have a wooden boat outing on June 11th, about 4 weeks, float/show/cookout/camping, but I`m hoping to get it into some water before that if I can in case I need to tweek anything.

I`m working on that carpeted roller tonight. Just got the brackets made up, need to drill and tap them to the frame. I`ll drill and tap my side guides tonight too, and I hope to strip it all apart and get some primer on it tomorrow.

Absolutely Wonderful Work!

I really like the carpeted roller, it's cool,eh!
Mike, you've done a heck of a job, "with no solid plans"!
I'm with you Rick.
Phil

Thanks guys, means alot. Phil youve really helped me out sharing your drawings and ideas. Extra thanks.

I think the carpeted roller is a pretty good idea.Its gonna be easy on the bottom.

Where I made the mistake was putting the seam in the middle of that super sticky carpet tape. My idea was that that stuff is so sticky it would hold the seam good, and it would have too. I cut the carpet 1/8" too narrow leaving a very slight gap that I didnt like. Stitching it was a great idea, but I could only get 2 stitches in it and would have to clean that needle with lighter fluid to get the gum off it, and it took forever. In the end it came out good but had to really work hard at it.

Stitching the ends of the rails made for nice neat ends. Heres those little side guides. Dont remember if I already posted them.

Got a couple coats of bare metal rustolium primer on the trailer the last couple nights. Gonna start with the black rustolium tomorrow night and get a 2nd coat over the weekend, then I can start putting it back together.

So another week to get the trailer all done, then 3 weeks to tinker with the boat before the first annual wood boat outing here in Michigan. I would like to get another coat of varnish on the inside and outside, but it could go like it is. I do have to sand and re coat the fly line deck though, its a mess right now. Then if I have time, I would like to thin out the oar shafts between the wraps and the blades some...Its suppose to be cold here this weekend, chance of snow even in some areas, thats crazy and way below normal :(

Got the first coat of black on it. Had to fire up the woodstove as the temps are under 50 deg. Got it to around 68 in the garage.

Got the trailer all done tonight. Set the boat on it and mounted the winch stand, the safety chain, the bunks for the 2 rear guides, the lic plate mount, and tightened everything up. Theres a few mistakes, and things I wish I would have done different, as it always goes, but overall its a decent trailer. Now back to the boat to finish off a few things and my build thread will be done.

Beautiful job, Mike!

Thanks David. After jumping through some hoops with a home made trailer, I got the license plate so its now legal. I had a litle pc of dia plate left so I put a step in the middle. We are finally getting some 70`s so I`m gonna get a little more varnish done on the boat, its almost done.

Forgot to add, the trailer weighed in at 340lbs. on the scale. When I get the boat all done I`ll have it weighed again with the boat to get the weight of the boat.

Mike, you have done some great work! You are a true craftsman.

Rick N

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service