My first glimpse of a drift boat was on the Cal Salmon as a kayaker in the late 70s - i was intrigued by the way the boat rode through the wave trains and could handle the water. I got a better look a bit later on a couple of Rogue trips, watching them through Blossom Bar... I thought I'd like to try that. The idea of building one was cemented a few years ago after a visit to Andy Hutchinson's shop and seeing his build of a decked boat in sapele - what a beautiful boat. So as a start, I got Roger's book and built a model, getting an idea of how things went together and where the challenges might be. This spring, I traveled to Flagstaff to attend Brad Dimock's class, where I met an incredible variety of skilled folks, all interested in building - not to mention a shop to die for. Then it was off to Oregon and the wooden boat festival. I stopped in Bend, where I picked up a trailer and a bunch of great information from Mike Baker - now I had a trailer, and needed a boat. Materials were a bit of a challenge - I originally wanted Port Orford Cedar for the frames - in Bend, there's a reliable supply from Orepac, but in Victor, where I live, no such luck. I ended up with Alaskan Yellow Cedar for about $7/bf. Hydrotek was next on the list. McBeath lists it on their web page, but there was a 2 month wait, so I ended up getting mine from Edensaw. Following Brad's lead, I'm using epoxy from Resin Research. Now for the fun stuff...

Views: 12516

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I dont know David, I think your just showing off at this point ;) haha. Was waiting for you to get back. Ive always used the fiberglass bows for boat tops, but I like the idea of pre-bent, no stress on the sides. Did you steam those? I`m getting some great ideas from you. Last night at Home Depot I was looking at the zink floor board latches, $3 ea., but they have stainless ones for $5. West marine $15 ea. I think I`ll go for the 5, but it can wait. You boat is looking great, right on time for spring too!!

Rick - I'm looking forward to to the festival!

Mike - Isn't every project a chance to show off what you can do? Dimock told me "You're onto building a boat, you're building a monument!" I can't help but wonder how I'll feel the first time I smash it into a rock...

Good tip on the SS latches at Home Depot - I'll check them out. 

I guess your right. I was just shooting for something fast and simple for fishing, and might have got a little carried away. You obviously know how that happens!! Couple good rock smashes will just give it character. Those latch bolts were just a little longer than the ones you have there, but stainless. (maybe 2-2 1/2") On the bows, you didnt say, are they one solid pc, laminated, steamed?

I used four layers, each one a hair over 1/8" for a total of 5/8". Bent to a 68" radius - didn't need to steam them. 

Well, yesterday was the big day

and everything went pretty much according to plan.

we saw a couple of moose

an owl, two cranes, a hawk and a whole bunch of songbirds. The road to the put in was rough, and I had a bit of an issue with my Baker trailer - tried to send them an email this morning, and from what I learned on the web,  it looks like they're no longer in business - bummer.

I'll see you in a couple of weeks in Vida. 

Yay!! Outstanding David. Very nice pics, the boat looks great by the water. Sure looks nice there, I`m looking out the window at a few inches of snow still and more coming down right now. Temps last night in the 20`s. Thats ok, gives me time to get more done. Sure am looking forward to getting mine in some water.

Hey Dave, boat looks awesome! Good feeling getting her in the water that first time right?

Baker is still in business ( R&D Baker Trailers now). I have a trailer on order.

Try calling them Monday at either

541-935-5830 or

541-998-4589.

What issue did you have?

There are little tabs on the trailer at the chine level

But they only engage a very little bit of the chine, so that if the boat shifts position on a rough road, it can ride over the top of the tab

and bend it down. What I'd like to see is the tab sitting about an inch higher, so it held the chine more positively. I'm interested in what they say about a fix - alternatively, I can shim the tab up a bit with some leftover UHMW. 

What about just flipping the tab over?Congrats on the launching!

Personally I don't rely on those tabs to hold the boat, only to guide it when loading. I move them all the way out and cinch the boat down good. You could try moving the winch back so that more of the rocker is below the frame.

Good idea - that would also help with the tongue weight. 

Looking forward to seeing you and your wonderous boat very soon! When will you be in the Vida area?

Rick

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service