Well I'm building a 17 54 baker drift boat. So far I've got a pallet of expensive ply wood and one scarf cut

Views: 15464

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

clamp condoms again

Been slowly building up the chine where I tried to make material that was 1/8" too narrow work.  Ill try and get better pictures of the process tomorrow but basically its the same process as the front.  Laminate strips of white oak to the chine then plane flat.  Soooooo close, I started on my bottom ply today.  Im so ready to have a boat and not a conspicuous arrangement of boat like parts

was struggling with getting the bottom on but improvised a little with a false stem cap that did the trick

Now for trimming and adding the side ply

Finished the last of my hand planed scarfs tonight.  It was kind of a bittersweet moment.

Bottom trimmed

7' 4" by 8" wings glued up

Hope to get these mated to the bottom tonight so I can install said bottom tomorrow

First half lap for widening the bottom.  First time I've ever used a router not in a router table.  Likelihood of error, solid 88%.  Mike Baker you're a wild man.  Was afraid to go too deep so I'll knock down the high spots with the sander.  Thought I could get all four cuts done tonight and glued but that's not happening.  Will get the rest cut and glued tomorrow then its off to chase the white bass and hybrids sunday.  They're already pushing up river. May get lucky with the occasional striper.

Long side scarf's.  17x 54 Hill  Different way.

Thanks Dennis

Attachments:

I gave scarfing them a thought but then realized it would take forever. I did all my scarfs with a plane.  Liked the control.  Mikes plans say this works fine so I figured if it saves time and a lot of arm workout im okay with it.  Plus its too late to turn back now haha

That half lap will work just fine, I think that was a good idea. I didnt understand the reason for the false stem cap? Whats going on with the thick plywood shaved down at that cap?

well to get the ply to sit flush on the stem I had to raise it really high in the back.  This caused it to want to slide all over the place.  So I cut a 45 in the edge of the ply and screwed a false chine cap on and just lifted the ply till it slid into place.  Centered it, and screwed it.  Much easier than wrestling it into place with a missing third hand.  

went ahead and put down a coat of epoxy on the bottom of the skeleton. Probably unnecessary, but I don't think it'll hurt.

Bottom is on once the epoxy has had a chance to really cure.  

White bass run had a false start but we were able to locate a few.  This is my buddy properly mocking the long arm and fly rod display with a nice baby hybrid or really hybrid shaped baby striper.  Can't wait until the stripers start to run with the schools. Nothing like catching a bunch of white bass for the fryer and a handful of stripers that will break a 6 weight if you arent careful

Question for everyone with epoxy experience.  How much epoxy can I expect to use to wet out a ~20 oz bottom and 4-6oz sides.  I have 3/4 a gallon of epoxy left and am debating on ordering another 1.5 gallon kit or if I can get by with less.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service