Well I'm building a 17 54 baker drift boat. So far I've got a pallet of expensive ply wood and one scarf cut

Views: 15473

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Goal is to have the sides tacked to the stem a few frames and transom tonight

Moving right along! she is looking good now

Get to play with the notorious 3m 5200 tonight

Got my 5200 slathered on and my ring nails in. 

Friendly tip

Mikes plans call for a 3/32" pilot hole for the nails if using hardwood and 1/16" if using fir.  I predrilled for 3/32" and the nails slipped in with barely any resistance.  I then made the poor choice to bend the side panels completely around and realized that the nails were getting pulled.  So, today I added a second row of nails behind the first and predrilled with a 5/64" bit.  These nails fought me in the whole way but brought the panel nice and snug against the stem. 

So take away is, based on my experience, drill a 5/64'' hole

Second row of nails

Looks good Bennet,

transom rough fit

hopefully can get both sides glued up tonight.  Depends on if I can use my third hand I guess

Thats exciting. Its gonna be a big boat!!

Well I've gotten married and been on honeymoon. I managed to only think about the boat for a little of the time. Hopefully I'll be ready for chine logs soon though. I've got a friends bachelor party to attend thanksgiving weekend so I've got plenty of interruptions scheduled
Well I was able to get frames 7 and 8 in tonight. If anyone out there is reading this and thinking of building frames without cross braces- don't! I split 3 number 7's trying to wrestle them in. Tonight I remade a no 7 with a cross brace and it popped right in. Same story with 8. Can't wait to get these puppies nailed in and move onto chine logs

Slow and steady

Glad to hear that Bennett. She is starting to look like a boat.

So lucky for me you can actually fit 10 foot lumber into an isuzu trooper.  This white oak will be my chine logs soon

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service