Well I'm building a 17 54 baker drift boat. So far I've got a pallet of expensive ply wood and one scarf cut

Views: 15473

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks y'all. I didn't get to mess with the boat today. I'll double check my frame dimensions and spacing. I seem to remember cutting the transom a 1/4 inch or so oversized but I may be making that up. I'll pop it off and redo it once all the frames are in so the hull stays intact

Hey Bennett,

Looks like the angle on the sides of the transom isn't right or the transom is too wide at the bottom or both.

Side Bevel should be 37 deg. and the bottom of the transom should be 14 3/4" wide measured at the outside of the transom. Bottom Bevel looks good.

so heres some better pictures of the side panel/transom situation with frame 1 at its' station

Not much going on for me now. My plan is to remove the transom once all the frames are in. I only have 9 and 1 left to install. Is this a bad idea? I'm not pumped about it but I'd hate to look at that weird recurve all the time and regret it.

If you take #1 out, does the recurve smooth out in the distance between #2 to transom? If so, you might just rebuild #1 to a custom fit. If there is still a little recurve from #2 to transom, measure the distance between hull panels at #1 and make the lateral frame member a little short, that will pull the hull pieces in and hopefully take the recurve away. Might be easier than tearing out the transom.

I'm considering that. Temps got down to 25 last night so I'll give it another day to firm up and then flip the hull over to see what it looks like right side up. I'm going to install frame 9 tomorrow and let the heater cook the epoxy for a few hours tomorrow morning.

I checked my measurements and both frame 1 and my transom are the correct size. I didn't check the bevel though so I suspect that may be the culprit

Just using a batten strip will show you exactly what needs to happen by spanning the sides (top and bottom), in other words show what the lines are, and what doesnt fit right if its your angles or the size of the frame or transom. I figured out all my frames and angles for the entire boat with 2 batten strips.

yesterday I wanted to go ahead and get frame 9 installed but instead tackled something thats been eating at me.  I drilled one limber hole an inch too far in and it's been driving me crazy.  So I'm plugging it and redo-ing it

Notice anything odd?

The plug matches on one side... ill take it

just have to trim it down and redrill

not much to write about but got frame 9 in.  Im going to install frame 1 today and then work on removing the transom and trimming it down.  I flipped the boat over to double check the transom from the right side up and it was a gorgeous site.  The side panel recurves just enough to bother me and I got kind of messy with the epoxy so I'm going through with refitting the transom.  It's getting exciting though!

Also, thanks to whoever put up those trailer plans in the trailer drawing thread.  Mel Buchanan on here really helped me out by leading me to a manufacturer just a couple hours from me who is building a trailer for half what I was estimated here in GA

Looking good, its gonna be a dandy! That trailer thread is a great thread, helped me out a bunch too. I see you have your boat meditation chair sitting there :)

Oh yes, a very important chair

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service