Since my first trip down the Grand Canyon in 1997 I've wanted a whitewater dory.  However, money and time have delayed the dream until now.

Recently, I picked up a drift boat and trailer for $600 from a guy who got it from a guy who owed him money.  I believe it might be a Don Hill 16' (approximately) design, but I'm new to this so could very well be wrong.  It measures closest to his 16ST plan:http://www.dhdriftboats.com/driftBoatPlans.html

It has (had, I took everything out) floor boards, foot controlled anchor, front seat with removable backs, and a rope rowing seat.

A fair amount of the outer layer of plywood on the outside of the boat has delaminated and is gone (you can't really tell from the picture).  The seller said that the builder told him it happened when he put on the finish.  So, at the very least I plan to glass the exterior and have a drift boat.  The guy I bought it from allowed water to accumulate on the inside to some degree, and the inner ply has some issues as well.  I've scraped away all of the loose parts and what remains appears to be sound.

I'm not much into fishing (though a few friends are and I can see a symbiotic relationship forming if I leave it in drift mode) and I'd really like to deck it over and turn it into a whitewater boat.  I realize it is smaller than the typical Grand Canyon dory, but don't know if/when I'll ever get back down there (did make it down this summer on rubber).  Typically, my group of friends runs rafts down Cataract once or twice a year, tries to pull a Main Salmon, and sometimes gets invited on a Desolation trip.  

My question is whether this boat is a decent candidate for conversion to a whitewater dory?

If yes, other questions will follow.  Or, feel free to offer any advice or thoughts.

Thanks,
Jim

Views: 4463

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jim,

Looking good!  I have a project myself.  This is my 18 and the cockpit will self bail(in theory).

The wild thing is BIG so the cockpit is 12 inches above the floor and will have a single 2 inch drain.  The passenger footwell will have two 2 inch holes 13 inches above the floor to drain the big stuff.  I bought a small bilge after being swamped on the main last summer.

Attachments:

Mike -- I look forward to seeing when finished.  Maybe we'll end up on a trip next year.  Regarding ruling in your picture, doesn't know it's spelled "Golive"?

Jim

Golive thinks that is funny.  She helps me on the "precious" boat.

Hope to see you on the river!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service