I am having a local company make a pair of oars for me and I was wondering what the dimensions for my oars should be. I've looked at most of the discussions about the subject but I was wondering about the diameter of the shaft. I will be using my boat (it's a 14' perfect mac kit) on the rivers and lakes around central Wisconsin. Any input on the subject will be appreciated.

Jacob     

Views: 1162

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

these look perfect http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=430248

Sawyer smoker solid ash is favorite oar. Someone is going to get a great set of oars for 250. Wish they were 9ft'rs. I've got a 16x48 and 9ft has been perfect

Thanks. The set of oars I am getting look like Premier Oars shallow water blades. They are going to cost me from $75 to $100 per oar f. I just need to get them more dimensions. I also am wondering about wood. What wood wood be best for slow steams and lakes?

Attachments:
Your boat is actually 12.8 from tip to tail if it is a 14 footer, and 8.5 feet for your oars is perfect. But since you will be the rower you kind of have to figure that out according to your body size and arm length. Ash is what most are made of and those oars on the Web site would be perfect!

Hi Jacob!  I run a Briggs Grand Canyon dory with a beam of 76" inches at the oarlocks.  My friend Brad Dimock has always said that oar length is determined by multiplying the lock width by 1.5 and adding 6".

So, 76 x 1.5 = 114 + 6 = 120 or 10'.  Which is what we always run on these sweet little boats--brilliant!

How does he come up with these things?  Anyway, I have a set of '75 Smokers made back in Goshen, Ohio(?) which are 1 and 5/16" at the neck and 2 and 3/16" at the start of the handle. The blades are 3/8" at the tip.  These oars are amazing, like butter!  Current Smokers are made stouter, probably to hold up to whitewater rigors.  I think these dimensions would suit your needs.  Make 'em out of white ash.

Good luck,

jim

Thanks for all the diameters and information, and do you know what is the diameter of the oar shaft at the wrap or is it the 1 5/16"? And what oarlocks do you use?

jacob

The oarshaft tapers from the neck through to the handle(shoulder?).  I think this is important as it creates a progressive flex pattern throughout.  Above the oarlock there is little to no flex and flex increases down to the neck--think about a GS ski here.  Try rowing with a composite oar that has a consistent shaft diameter, there is flex behind the lock which reduces torque and also reduces the "snap" which a solid tapered oar achieves.  

Boy, there's lots of locks out there.  Find some old ones on ebay for a little vintage in your life.  Cobras seem to pinch the oar--I think that's hard on the wrap.

good luck'

Jim

For the oar locks I think I heard you could bend the Cobras to make them wider I don't know if this is true or will harm the integrity of the oarlock and cause them to brake when you need them most.

Jacob  

I would think you should ask premier oars if it's ok to have a company make oars that look like there's. Being that they do have a patent on them and it's a pretty significant change to not fall within there patent dimensions. I totally get that you are making a custom wood boat and premier does not make wood paddles on there oars anymore. Here is the number to the owner he is not going to care he just doesn't want some other company thinking that this design is ok to start manufacturing 307-699-3565

That is true I should of thought about that before hand, I don't want to be sued. Thanks for the advise I should of thought about that in the first place. Hopefully they wont care about a one time thing because I am only having them make 2 for me maybe another for a spare I might not need one on the lakes or the slow moving Wisconsin river. 

Wait are you the owner? I just looked at your website and the number you just gave me for the owner is your number.

Jacob 

Trust me they won't sue you or anyone else they are a great bunch of guys. I am part owner and do not care. I just want to make sure that the people making it don't get the bright idea of manufacturing this design on a large scale. But the design is truly incredible you will love it they pull so much water. I may actually have some of the old wooden paddles laying around not old like used just the old design that might make it easier on the guys making them.

I know they won't manufacture it on a large scale because their workshops are their garages and they only do custom orders. They do, do large scale items but its paddles for canoes. The oars they are doing for me are the first oars they are every trying to make. I would appreciate if you could message me the measurements that would be great. And if you decide not to I will under stand.

Jacob

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service