Brad,

I was wondering what hull you would choose if you had the choice?

To start I am posting this to all member of the group so they may also read your views.  As a person who has run the grand many times as a guide with 4 or 5 people in the boat I can see many reasons you and commercial companies choose the Briggs design.

What I was wonder was what you would choose for yourself.  After rowing and building a few boats, I like 16 footers.  Unlike many I want my boats to be as light as I can build them while keeping them solid.  I also don't like a boat which has too long of a flat spot.  For me they react too slowly.  I like a boat which spins more quickly but not so quick that a lateral hit will kick it around.  I hope to sell one of my boats at some point after my next Grand trip in a few weeks so I can build another.  

Having been around boat building all my life, I don't work completely from plans.  I use them as a starting point and then make changes with the idea of tuning the way the boat behaves to my requirements.  My plan is something like a 16 foot double ender with transom but with a little less rocker for about 6 foot near center.  Since I will add a transom dropping the bottom a bit I would curve the last 3 feet back up an inch or two to get the stern back to the original double ender line.

What do you row when you are not working?

This is really a discussion for all and I look forward to everyones input.

Views: 1208

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Every now and then you luck out and get a client who knows how to sail. And once in a blue moon you have a down stream wind.

A daggerboard would have been awesome...
We were clipping right along but I had to use a bit of energy to keep us on course. It sure was fun passing people!!

Dagger board. You two sound like my late Father. We used to sail canoes. Talk about disaster. We didn't have a dagger board but a pair of boards. One sticking down on each side. He called them leeboards.

I still have about 10 days are you recommending I cut a slot in the bottom of the boat?

Perhaps I could get Jeremy to prototype the design on his boat since mine is so much better looking.
I'v been wondering... can u roll a 14foot dory with one person?

Once a big briggs boat flips it takes 2 people to get it back over even when its empty...I've tried. It would be pretty cool if you could get a 14footer flipped on your own. (I'm thinking Grand Canyon solo trip)
I have my doubts about that. Fully loaded I don't think so.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service