We had a couple really nice floats this weekend on the Manistee river on the west side of the mitten... caught some trout - a couple smallies - and saw quite a few Kings cruising around already.

Well I had my anchor attached with this "heavy duty" clip/beener and wouldn't you know it broke and left my anchor somewhere in the rocks... it was not cool!

Rest of the day was fine - but I guess I just learned something the hard way about using this particular clip for the anchor... why is learning never the "easy" way? Is there a such thing? haha

Anyways thought I would share bc now I need another anchor for this weekend... and I am not quite done stewing about it yet. : )

Views: 83

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I feelyour pain. There is no comprehensive book out there to deal with everything that comes up in the world of trailering and floating. I've lost a share of anchors and made a few mistakes along the way myself. Another amazing thing is there is always a new mistake to make.
Yeah I had my first experience with launching on a "slide"... well in this case it was a wooden staircase that was wide enough to slide the boat down... I was like "uh where is the launch? all I see are stairs... oh, the stairs ARE the launch!" haha We made it without incident though so that was cool.
Hey Jason,
I have lost two anchors using the spring loaded type clip (slow learner) fortunatly they were both cement filled footballs used in lakes and I got one back. I have since swithched to threaded quick links and haven't lost one yet.
Mike
Attachments:
yeah I was thinking that the threaded clip will be the way to go... I just like being able to take the anchor off without knots - so the quick connect is key.
Jason,

I've never lost an anchor. but I know several who have. Through their misfortune, I've figured a few things out!
I use a loop on my anchor rope. Anchor has a chain link on it. You know- those kind with the threaded barrel? will never come unclipped or break.

I also don't use store bought anchors. Find yourself some old chains, cavalier front rotors, or other pieces of random steel. tie a loop knot or a giant perfection loop in your anchor rope out the back.

Rotors work extremely well. And you can get them free.
yeah I would prefer to just make another one with chain... how many cavalier rotors would you need? a few I suppose...
I used a threaded chain repair link for a long time without incident, then went to a carabiner with a threaded lock. It's easier to use, but the other day at the end of the float I discovered that I hadn't run the threaded barrel up on the carabiner to lock it shut - could have very easily lost the anchor if the hinged bar had landed on a rock just right. I have to work on adhering to procedures and practices! I also have to work on improving my memory.

I've not had the nerve to try it, but I like the method that AJ DeRosa posted a while back. You run the anchor rope through the anchor, then through a washer bigger than the hole in the anchor, then tie a slip knot in the tag end of the rope.
Jason,

1 cavalier rotor ought to do it.

I have a 4 bolt something or other rotor from a little car, it stops nice. Id bet it weighs 25-30-some pounds.
Jason,

I am going to agree with the others who use the threaded chain link. The only issue I have run into is a few times when I am home from a float and am pulling the cover off the boat to allow it to air out, I have noticed that I forgot to screw the gate back shut at the boat ramp. Either take it off with the anchor, or don't forget to screw that thing shut, I am sure I am going to lose that link someday. :D

Jesse

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service