Its 5 below 0 here in "wild wonderful" Windsor Colorado. I don't think I will be working in the garage today!

Jerry

Views: 211

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i cant say as i blame you.  i just got a new heater for my shop here in charleston sc, and it only gets down to the 20s once in a while.  had a propane one, but the fumes are brutal, and i cant leave it on when im gone.  spar urethane doesnt dry worth a darn at anything less than 60' though.  we had icy rain yesterday morning, and as i was driving to work i heard on the radio they shut every bridge down, cancelled schools, and there was nobody on the roads.  having grown up in new england, i didnt even think about it.  the joys of being self employed, you dont work, you dont get paid.

Roger that. Those people in that part of the country aren't used to that kind of weather. My son lived in Tennessee for a couple of years and every time they forecast snow there would be a run on the supermarkets for bread and milk. They just can't afford to have the necessary snow removal equipment and let it sit idle for 99% of the time.

Cheers

Jerry

Hey ya'll this is our third day here in Columbia, SC with no school.  You have got to love it when you wake up in the morning to 6" of snow and go to bed with 2" of ice on top of that.  The only people leaving home around here  are the people from up north.  My neighbor is from Ohio and told me this kind of weather is why they left.  Should be almost 60 by Sat.  time to go fishing again!

I would go fishing but its hard to row the boat when the lake is frozen, LOL

Jerry

We had -27 degrees here in Fraser,Co.....just keep telling yourself, "without the cold and snow, we'd have no water to play on next summer"

Hi Jerry - had to look to see where Windsor is - two of my kids went to CSU Ft. Collins your westerly nearby neighbor.  I spent twenty-four years in the south central portion of Colorado in the San Luis Valley at South Fork,  and this time of year when discussing the temperature it was always understood we were talking about "minus".  Windsor has to be a banana belt in camparison. Out here in California now and my insulated garage has a space heater - where today I am laying up the laminated shafts for the oars I am building. 

Thanks for reminding me how lucky I am nowadays.   Don Wakefield       Paradise, CA        

I was driving from Walsenburg to Alamosa one winter, it was so cold that the grease in my steering froze and I almost didn't make the turn when I got into town!

You are very welcome for the reminder. Enjoy the weather!

Jerry

ive got insulation in the walls of my shop, but yanked out the ceiling insulation this summer (and never got around to replacing it).  ive got three space heaters going 24 hrs a day trying to speed up the drying process.  also, is that a giant pile of sawdust in the picture don?  if so, thats awesome!

BTW Don, I never thought of using steel channel for a clamping caul. Great Idea. I like your jet sled, good looking boat! Looking forward to hearing more about it.

Oh, by the way, its 45 Deg. here now. A far cry from the 5 and 10 below we have been having. Maybe I will get a little shop time tomorrow!

Cheers 

Jerry

Hi Don, Years ago when I lived in Gunnison, Co. and was involved with the Search and Rescue Team, I knew a Jerry Wakefield,who was the Sheriff over in Ouray. Any relation? I knew a few guys over in the Creed area that you probably also knew. That is nice country at the Rio Grande headwaters.
hey justin, instead of heating the whole shop to 50 or above ,tent your project with a tarp and stick one heater underneath and you'll get that temp up to the high 70's to set or cure anything...it saves lots of energy and puts the heat where you need it..
tent idea is a good one.  ive done it in the past.  especially when sanding hardwoods, lots of very fine dust covering EVERYTHING.  unfortunately, im pre-painting everything so the entire shop is being used right now.  id be lying if i said i didnt like working in a t shirt either though...

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service