I'm glueing up parts for my driftboat using 5200.   The tube says it tacks up in 48 hours.  I applied it Sunday and as of Tuesday night it feels just as soft as the day I glued the pieces up!  Even the remaining glue still in the tube doesn't feel like it's curing.   Should I just be patient?  Is this normal for 5200?

Temperatures in my shop stay between 59-64 degrees.   Humidity is low.

Views: 1307

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's okay!   That's why we have this great website, right?   I pulled one of the frames off the strongback last night, unscrewed the pieces, and the joints literally popped apart with next to NO pressure.  This is after roughly 72 hours in a shop that was at 62 degrees.

Definitely go with the Epoxy.  I'll be using West Systems 610.

I used it to bed/bond the half oval brass strip ( as well as screws on 3" centers) on the stems and keel of the  current Peapod.  It takes a full week or more to"set up".  The tube  I used has been in the freezer for  2-3 years.  While the spout was plugged the material in the tube was fine . As previously stated its really a bedding adhesive and not really for bonding wood parts.  Get it off now and go with epoxy. 

Good luck 

Greetings,

I to, have had this issue with the 5200. Humidity and temperature has alot to do with the curing time.

be patient, it will eventually cure. Good luck.

I have heard of the product. I was thinking i would use it to close up the gaps that are between the floor frame and the floor/plywood. does this sound like a good idea?

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service