Well I'm building a 17 54 baker drift boat. So far I've got a pallet of expensive ply wood and one scarf cut

Views: 15464

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well I was able to check out my scarfs today and give them a little clean up with the sander. This is the good side pictured. Little more sand and all that epoxy will fade and look great oiled on the interior of the boat. I followed mikes video on YouTube if anyone is curious about the procedure. I do have question for you though Mike, what do you do if you didn't get the nail completely flush to the ply? I'm thinking it won't get noticed or it may even be hidden by the chine log.
Attachments:

Hey Bennett,

The nail actually comes out, it is only there to align the two pieces while the epoxy is on there and everything is slippery. The hole will be hidden. Actually if you did that scarf full width (48") one side will have the A side out and one side will have the B side out. The A and B sides on Hydrotek are both very good so it should not be an issue but keep that in mind.

Mike

http://bakerwooddriftboats.com/

Well I screwed up then, I left the nails in. They're proud of the wood about 1/32 on either side. I guess I could get some pliers on them and try to twist them out. I made sure to glue it up so that I'd have an a and b side total. Per the video you said that the joint line on top comes out a little better so I made sure to cut my scarfs accordingly. (A) side on top for both boards. That glue line is what will be on the inside of the boat and oiled. The other side is a little rougher but it'll be glassed anyway. You're right though, the only way I could tell a vs b was which side was stamped. I sent you a private message about measurements in the plans, I'm hung up on those at the moment. Thanks for the great instructions so far!
If the nail is held in with epoxy and wont budge, trying applying a soldering iron tip to the nail head itself. The heat will allow the epoxy to soften and u can pull the nail out no prob

Ill give it a shot tonight, haven't been able to do anything the past couple of days

So I'm taking advantage of this cooler 84 degree and 66% humidity day to cut out my side panels as well as the scarfs for the last 18" on the back.  I may even get my stem cut.  I cant find any info on using ash for the stem, is this a bad idea? I know mahogany or white oak is best but I've got some left over ash I could use. 

I love Ash as a boat building wood.

Mike

ash is nice. I didnt have enough ash so I epoxied some ash and some cherry to make my stem. Then I made a white oak nose(with a strip of walnut in it, but I didnt have a nice dark strip) I had some thick pcs of cherry so I used it here and there.

Thanks for the ash answer. However I have somehow royally screwed up, these are my side panels with the bottoms lined up
[URL=http://s1340.photobucket.com/user/bayarbrough/media/A1BFA6EF-C266-4D80-BCFB-9A8F43A0B3B4_zpsdsu8divy.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o724/bayarbrough/A1BFA6EF-C266-...[/IMG][/URL]

Yep, that's an inch different
Can't figure out the imbed
Attachments:

sounds like plan B is in order. That happens, and just might happen a few times before you are done. Its just a matter of rolling with the punches (problem solving). Just get what you can out of the 2 sheets making them the same and make it work. You`ll have to make a couple little tweeks as you go, but your (or anyone else) not gonna notice a inch here or there.

Yeah, I was so worried about the cut that I somehow didn't triple check my measurements. It should work out though, my bow will be an inch lower and the oarlocks will be about a half inch lower. Should work out considering I'm not going to see over class iii stuff. I'm still in shock that I screwed up so bad though haha

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service