Well I'm building a 17 54 baker drift boat. So far I've got a pallet of expensive ply wood and one scarf cut

Views: 15464

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wont be a big deal. I built my boat with no plans at all, and figured it out as I went. In the end a few things didnt work out as in my vision, but those things didnt really matter, like my bow a little thinner and more point than I wanted, my frt rocker a little longer than I had planned, it turned out to be a good fishing boat for my waters, and thats what I wanted. I had to move my oarlocks up 2 times before I got the oars where I needed them. You got it going on so you have a good start. Plans and help is huge too!!

Well I've never really done any woodworking, I built stages in high school shop class for the theater kids and have ran a circular saw a few times but this is my first dive into real woodworking. its helpful to be able to do this at work in a warehouse with plenty of room, but the 90 degree heat isn't helping me any. Oh well, my goal is an hour a day. I finish work and run upstairs and knock out one thing. Just gotta get back after it. Finally getting my frame material Saturday so this train will keep rolling

Back in Action!

So while worrying about making my cut, I forgot to double check my measurements

So I ended up with this

And freaked out over the weekend wondering how I'll fix it.

But today I indeed fixed it

Remembered that the front angle needs to be spot on

Luckily one side was correct

So I got the panels lined up

And fine tuned

Ended up only wasting a little bit of material

And one inch shy of what they shouldve been

But taking into account the near 45 degree bow angle and the fact that I cut almost an inch off the top, Im basically dead on with just a little lower bow.  Everything else should work just like the plans say

Just need to get the transom end scarf on and this mistake is in the past, cypress seems to be working for my frames.  Hope to have a bottomless hull by the end of the week

So my post shows up for a second when I refresh then it disappears.  You can see it on the mobile view though

That 2nd post back theres nothing there on my end but your last one shows up. I will admit having a past life in woodworking did play to my advantage, but learning as you go is fun stuff and rewarding!!!

Just be very safe at all times with the tools.

panels didnt match

Now they do

Had to make sure I had the correct angle up front

Yep

overall Im just a little shorter than planned

I can barely squeeze out the panels with the scrap triangle.  Its working out though

Barely got anything done this past week but I've managed to keep my sides full length and just one inch low

Its my last scarf for a while but I think I've finally got it. Frames start tomorrow

Frames are my favorite part! (No joke).

Mike

Well Im just working on my frames currently but I've been wondering about fiberglass.

Everything I've found here says you don't need fiberglass but a thin 4 or 6 oz on the sides is used by many.  So my question is, why don't I use a really light 1 or 2 oz so to minimize weight/save epoxy(money) while gaining the benefit of having a slightly stronger and fair surface for paint?  Im still planning on the 20 oz triaxial bottom

Drift boats take a lot of abuse,stick with the 4- 6 oz, for just a small weight penalty you get a lot more strength and abrasion resistance.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service