I've got to replace my rub strips. Is that what their called? My current rub strips are aluminum. I'd like to replace with stainless steel or uhmw.

Do you guys have a preference for one or the other? I called Ray's River Dories and they sell a 3/4" X 12'stainless strip.

Randy, if you see this thread, do you sell either? If so, how do yours measure?

My chine is a little over an inch wide and currently the aluminum strip covers the total width and the total length of the chine. Looks like from photos on this site that most boats don't have rub rails giving full coverage. Any issues with that?

Any input would be very helpful.

thanks,

mitchell

Views: 364

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The strip you are talking about is the extra protection that is screwed to the chine cap, right. I have used UHMW, stainless steel, aluminum and nothing at all. All worked fine for a time. I believe that stainless steel is the best for it's toughness and it's ability to distribute the force of a hard blow to a larger surface of the wooden chine cap. It is tough enough to be removed and reattached if you need to replace the cap itself. Aluminum and UHMW tend to bend at the point of impact and don't distribute the force of the blow as well as a harder material. The UHMW is degraded by the UV, lasting only a few years. Mine were toast after about five years.

This strip should be centered on the chine cap to give greatest protection to the area that is in the water. You could run it the entire length but most strips I have seen are 12' long and,depending on the length of the boat, do not cover the entire chine cap.
Yup, A.J. and Ray have it right. Ray has time tested his method and I believe the stainless steel half round is the best performer. Avoid aluminum, it's pretty sticky on the rocks.

We ship UHMW strips with our kits because it is the best priced alternative, very slick and the most popular choice in this area. The half round stainless steel is by far the best performance but is also the highest price. You can purchase them from Ray if you are close to him, or Jamestown Distributors can ship.

I do stock UHMW and place it the same way, a 10ft strip in the center of the boat screwed into the outside chine batten. Some people buy an extra strip cut it in half and cover all of both sides.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service