I had a few minutes today to work on the 17'er.  Enjoy a few pics of the chine going into place. 

JD

Views: 98

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Question. What keeps water from standing next to the hull and the top of that inside chine strip? I know I am just a S&G guy so be kind.

Scott

Scott,

That's a very good question, especially from an S&G guy who sees an inside chine as a big fat fillet of thickened epoxy.  Properly cut, an inside chine log is a parallelagram.  The top of the log is parallel to the floor so water doesn't lay against the hull.  If it was cut as a square or rectangle you would have the problem that you are envisioning.  Those old frame builders knew what they were doing and it still works today.

Hi Jordan -- The day that I managed to get my chine logs installed was so great -- suddenly I could see that maybe this whole thing is gonna really happen -- And the beauty and wisdom of the lines is revealed.  Starts looking like a boat - be damnded.  VIOLA.

Looks to me like you are doing a great job - nice looking wood you are using - all vertical grain - Thanks for the pictures.  What a kick is the experience of building and creating hey! 

Make lots of Sawdust.....

Don in Paradise.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service