Hi everyone
I've not posted for a while as we've been doing a refit on Cygnus along with normal maintenance and antifouling etc. We had some hull planks to replace, some of them requiring some fairly tight bends. The main one of these was fairly short and because the timbers are mahogany, and all I could find was kiln dried, it proved to be a bit of a pain. The plank in question was 5 inches x 7/8th and we had to steam it for about 4 hours before being able to bend it on a bench former without damaging it. Anyway we did eventually get the bend we wanted and it fitted a treat.

As before we caulked her with a white lead paste and caulking cotton. Below the water line we gave her 2 coats of a chlorinated rubber paint and 3 coats of International antifoul. The rest of the hull received 2 coats of Sikkens primer and 3 coats of Sikkens gloss. We're really pleased with the Sikkens which gives a strong 'glass' like finish. The only thing left to do this year is the mahogany trims around the gunnels to seal where the canvas deck covers overhang. I'm having to have these made but they're not ready yet.

I hope you'll not mind me asking you to have a look at the following, it is not 'boaty', but it's not spam either. I do quite a bit on the internet and I'm in a 'local' competition with friends here in the UK to design a webpage that receives the most visitors. The one I'm banking on is "" A Simples Life"" It is a humorous page, in a very British sort of way, that I'd like you to have a look at. I'd love to see some comments from here that include 'WBP' in the comment so that I know it comes from this forum.

If I manage to get the mahogany trims on before winter bites we're hoping to take Cygnus on her last cruise of the season. If we manage it I'll post some more pics.

All the best, Stu

Views: 147

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've just noticed that on the left of the first picture is Kath, with a flower pot on her head! Hope she doesn't spot it.....
What a great looking job!

I lived aboard for about four years and really miss it now. The river keeps me busy though.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service