Been reading through the forum for a couple of weeks now, and I must say how impressed I am with the level of expertise found here and the willingness of people to share tips and offer advice.  I recently got the bug to build my first wooden boat...I'm leaning towards a 16' Don Hill, though I do have Fletcher's book on the way and may find other inspiration in those pages.  I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to woodworking, though I do have people nearby who can provide some guidance.  I guess the big questions I have are:  1) Is a 16' Don Hill a good choice for a first build?  2) How much space will I need to dedicate in my garage to this?  3) Living in southern New Mexico, marine rated lumber will surely be difficult to come across locally, do you recommend any specific suppliers?  4) What general advice would you offer?  5) Can you recommend other sites similar to this one where I can learn more and network with other builders?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Brian Grenier

Santa Teresa, NM

Views: 739

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Finding the wood is one of the trickiest parts. You'll probably have to travel to get it but I count that as part of the adventure. If it was me I'd build your boat from the ground up. There's a lot more satisfaction in the end!
I'm almost done with my very first boat and I had very little knowledge of woodworking. I'm a machinist by trade so I'm use to reading Mics and calipers and holding super tight tolerances, so I thought this would be easy. Wrong! Haha I bought the frames for my boat from Dave Z because I thought I couldn't do it. I feel like I cheated myself in the long run. There's so much info here that you'll have every question you have answered!
I'll agree to the fact of spending atleast 15 minutes a day in the shop. I've spent nights just staring at my boat and thinking about what's next and how to conquer it.

I'll keep the "adventure" perspective in mind, I'm sure it will make the entire building process more engaging.  I'll be sure to commit at least 15 minutes per day, and I'm sure there will be many an evening when those 15 minutes are spent looking at the boat and considering what's next...beer in hand of course :)

If I had to list my advice after my first build.

1.  Raka Epoxy is excellent and cheaper than others!!  You'll spend $1000 in just epoxy, supplies, glass and kevlar etc. Talk with Mike.  They are in Florida. 

2.  I had to order all my lumber.  Forest Plywood in California knows exactly what you'll need.  I also used Fibergalsssupply for my Plascore bottom out of Seattle, Washington. 

3. I used riggingandhardware out of Massachusetts for all my Schaefer Blocks, and pulleys.  And Regal engineering for the Floor anchor release.  All great quality. 

4.  Purchase 2 top end sanders...a belt sander and an orbital.   Building a wood boat is a TON of sanding.  I spent entire DAYS, just sanding. DAYS, not hours.  DAYS. 

5.  Stitch and glue is WAY easier than building off of a frame.   Guys who use frames are true artists.  I have a TON of respect for their talent.....stitch and glue is much more forgiving.   

5.  When designing your boat, understand what your purpose is and design accordingly.  Whitewater=more rocker and a narrower stern.   Less whitewater=less rocker and you can go much wider in the strern.   

6.  Be flexible on your 1st build.   Some things just aren't going to go as planned.

7.  If you have the time, purchase a cheap old wood boat first.   Restore it the best you can then sell it. Learn about epoxy, glass, coatings, flooring, bracing, angles and installing interior pieces etc.  It will also tell you if you actually like the process.  It is so much easier to lose $1000 on an old tub, learning, than to screw up your first build or to buy $4000 worth of materials only to learn you don't even like doing it.   The money you might lose on the restoration is WELL worth the education you'll get.  

8.  Buy whiskey.....and a good set of noise canceling earphones that play music.....(for sanding days).

9.  Have a plan for your workspace.   1 table 60"X20ft.  Build this table at 24-36" tall and put it on wheels.   That way you can move you boat around, as other projects and life get in your way.

10.  There are TONS of different ways to build a boat.   Don't get married to what 1 guy tells you.  

11.  Have fun my man....enjoy....it's a cool feeling to drop your own chunk of wood in the river!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service