A buddy and I will be heading down to the Green River in mid May to fish the Green for a couple of days before we head to Vegas.

We have booked a guide while we are there, but we are looking for suggestions for a float to do on our way down there from Calgary.  We were looking for something in either the Jackson or the Idaho falls area that will be not too blown out, and will provide some epic browns, preferably on dry fly.

We will have his Hyde aluminum boat in tow, mine is still a pile of sticks so we will have room another if a local wants to join us.

If there is someone in that area that would like to fish with a couple of guys from Calgary who would be more than willing to recipricate should you make the trek up north let me know.

Thanks gang,

Andrew

Views: 331

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dan,

I was just wondering if you had an update as to what was happening on the HF.  We are still trying to decide if we are going to stop & fish or just head right to Dutch John.  We would relly like to stop & fish the HF if things are decent.

Andrew

May 15th you will be on the Green ?

Am I understanding you right ?

If I can get my Kingfisher done that could be a maiden voyage and I wouldn't mind joining you.

Which Guide service did you pick ?

I have a cousin who owned Old Moe Guide service but he sold it - they're still one of the best on the green though.

If nothing else, maybe I can do a private shuttle for you so I can fish the lower section while I'm waiting for you to arrive.

I live just below Flaming George in Vernal so I'm not far away.

Mike,

We may be one the Green on May 15.  We are leaving from Calgary in Saturday and are trying to decide if we are going to stop somewhere along the way.  It depends on what is blown out.  We had hoped to stop on the Henry's Fork, but it sounds like it is blown out.  We may also stop at the Madison depending on conditions.

We will be fishing the Green on the 16,17,18.  We have a guide for Monday and the fish on our own Tuesday Wednesday.  We'll be fishing A section for sure and will make the call if we are going to do B or C depending on they are fishing. 

Stay in touch and perhaps we can meet up for the maiden voyage.

Andrew

I went up to the Dam the other day (Mothers day - sunday) and took some pic's of the water release comming out of the Dam. It was awsome, 9000 cfs and full bank to bank.

Drove down to Little Hole at the end of section A - saw two guid boats passing by and it made me sick, thinking, "I should on the River RIGHT NOW with my new boat.

I saw one of the guides launching and jockingly made the comment, "How's the fishing" with a chuckel. His response was, "it great - from a boat" - I in turn replied "REALY" and he smirked at me and said, "W'e've been catching fish since the first day they startede releasing water.

Hope I can get finished before they shut down to under 9000 - this would be an awsome run right now and wish I had put in for a permit to run the Ladore Caynon during these flow's - wow, what a run that would be.

Well, keep in touch and would like to hook up with you guy's when you get here.

I'll see if I can work a bit faster and get this thing done before you get here and I'll see if I can get my cousin to join me/us as I want him to row this boat and give me his expert opinion on a few things - he's been guiding the green for over 20+ years so it would be advantages to have him along.

Here's a few pic's of the green I took the other day for your enjoyment.

Mike

Mike,

We would love to see your Kingfisher and fish with you if we get the chance.  It is nice to have some local experience when on a new river.

Andrew

Again. I dont live on that side of the tetons and have never done the henry's. That said, it's been raining here for days. All the rivers are spiking. A coworker was thinking of fishing the henrys yesterday so I pulled up the gauge and it was going thru the roof. 4x the volume in just a few days. I find it hard to believe it's not a little murky over there with all the tribs blasting. You might want to see if dan answers again, he might have a better idea, but my river spidey sense is tingling high water.

I did get a personal reply from Dan.  Here is what he had to say for anyone else thinking about that area in the near future.

I don't know if our rivers are going to survive the runoff by the time you get here, everything is blown out right now, it's snowing today and more water on the way, hopefully by the 15th things will taper off, the caddis are  on but the water is high and muddy.

Not looking too god for us on the HF this weekend so we may just haul ass to Dutch John and do an extra day there.

Andrew

Flows are up on the Green, too. Fishing should be terrific, but be prepared for high flows.

So my buddy and I made it back from the Green and I have to say that the Green River and the Flaming Gorge is some of the most amazing country I have ever seen.

Mike, I am sorry that I was not able to touch base with you when I was down there.  The whole trip was a bit of a wait and see type of affair.

We left from Calgary bright and early and drove to Ennis MT on the Madison River.  The Madison was the only river in the area that was remotely fishable and even at that it was pretty blown.  We floated from Varney bridge to town bridge.  We only got into a couple of fish as the water was high and dirty and I am not sure how good our guide was.  At any rate was nice to see for myself what the Madison could hold in better conditions.

From Ennis we left for Dutch John.  The drive from Ennis to DJ was pretty crazy, having to go throught the Teton Pass and then 4-5hrs in the dark on deer carcass littered roads.  I dont think we will do that drive again at night.  Too many close calls for our taste.  There was a mud slide that closed the road at the Hoback Junction and we though we would have to go back over the pass to get around it.  Luckily a fellow flyfisherman noticed our Alberta plates and boat in tow looking at the map and set us straight.

We woke up to a sunny day and met up with our guide Gene Gautieri, who if you ask me is the best guide in the world.  It was an honor to be guided by such a cool and knowledgable guy.  We fished zig jigs all day and with between the 2 of us we were probably 40-50 fish to the boat.  Flows were 4500CFS the whole time we were there and not many people were on the river.  Water clarity was not great by Green standards, but still very good.

The next day we awoke to 4" of snow at the resort, but things were clear on the gorge.  After a sleepness night of worrying about sinking the boat, my buddy and I did the river on our own the next day.  I fished, he rowed and it was a great day.  We met all of our goals for the day. 1. Not sinking the low-pro 2. Catching fish on our own 3. Catch fish on flies I'd tied 4. Catch fish on dry flies, and 5. Not drown

With just myself fishing we got 20 or so fish to the boat and had a lot of fun. 

Our last day there was freezing cold and raining most of the day.  My buddy who was rowing send an nice wall of water over the bow on dead mans rapids.  We pulled to the side so I could change my clothes and blow the water out of my nose.

We got into a few fish that day, but it was pretty damn cold so we decided to head to little hole take out, go back to the resort and start on the road to Vegas.   we drove to Filmore for the night and then drove to Vegas the next day.  Did an all nighter in Vegas and flew home to Calgary at 8 am.

We are already planning our next trip to the Green.  I dont thinkn that I have ever fished a more rewarding river. Unlike my home watersm the Bow River, I felt like when you were doing things right you will be in the fish. 

You guys who get to fish the Green on a regular basis are blessed.

Andrew

You guys who get to fish the Green on a regular basis are blessed.

Yes we are. I try not to take it for granted, because it truly is an incredible resource. We need people to be vigilant though, because there is no guarantee that is will stay this way for ever.

http://www.utahrivers.org/2010/11/22/green-river-granted-temporary-...

Wow, that would be such a sad day if that were to be approved.  One only has to look at the white ring around the resevior to realize that there it already declining water levels. 

Hopefully there is a strong enough group of concerned people in that area to let others know what is happening and to keep this from going through.

Andrew

Sorry I missed you guys Andrew, I was realy looking forward to meeting up with you and doing some fishing - beleive me I am chomping at the bit trying to get this boat finished so I can.

I knew you would get into some good fishing, even in the high flows, although they were low by the time you got here and have dropped even more since you left.

I had a trip planned for that weekend and was striving hard to make the deadline by being finished with this build. The trip was canceled because of flood stage flows in Colorado and the weather outlook wasn't looking good either.

I have just finished the exterior paint and I'm touching up clear coat on the underneat side of the gunwhales. After the Durabak Liner comes in I'll be able to flip it over and finish the instalation of the rest of the hardware - from there it off IMEADIATLY to the river, and I don't care what the weather is like.

If you ever get back this way again, be sure to look me up and we'll make a two or three dayer out of it.

Here's a pic or two of the Boat I am finishing up. They don't show the new paint yet, but will post some finished pic's when I get it flipped back over.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service