What i'm asking is after i've epoxied the outside of the boat and I want to dill a seam or indention can I use the bondo, then paint over it and that work?  Or do I need to epoxy over that again?

THANKS

And thanks to all my brothers and sisters that serve and have served in the Armed forces.

De Opresso Liber

Views: 1604

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm assuming you are going to paint the hull?
Yes!
ha! Duh, just checking. I heard you could do the wood flour thing if you were going for a bright finish but its tricky. The microballons are opaque and would wreck a bright hull. Sure are a great trick for a painted hull!
Here is a pick of my hull just before the primer was sprayed. The whole boat got a couple coats of fairing compound to fill the glass weave and create a smooth surface.

cool pic, thanks! I'm checking prices! I want it to be as smooth as possible!
What size is your boat? I can look back in my notes to see how much I used. Its really cheap stuff though. Better to have too much than too little!!

You can still use your bondo too.
I did the fairing compound until it was as smooth as I could get it. Then sprayed a coat of primer then went back with the bondo/autobody filler and filled all the little micro-holes that were left within the fairing compound. -Sanded; then sprayed the last 2 coats of primer.

Here is a pic of the grey primer with autobody filler in the flaws.

As said, the sanding can be easy to hard based on what you use (wood flour vs, micro balloons, vs silica, etc). but also, like drywall finishing (that I also (unfortunately) have a pile of experience doing), the amount and difficulty of the sanding is also directly related to how bad you "slop" it on. If you are judicious and skim coat a real tight finish, the sanding is not too bad regardless of what you use. If it's globbed on, your in for it in terms of sanding.
I used the spackle blade for a final skim coat to cover grooves, runs, areas where the fabrics meet and some other unsightly blemishes from the earlier epoxy coats. I layed the fabrics and applied epoxy until they were fully covered (smooth but bumpy surface), I then did a light but rough sanding (like 80 or 120 grit) to knock down the high spots, Then, one full (real tight - no excess epoxy) skim coat and a second round of spot touch ups after another light sanding with 120.
AJ and Uke girl got it right.

One thing not mentioned (I skimmed, sorry if it was) If you are sanding epoxy next to bare wood, do not use a random orbit sander. The wood will sand easier (softer) and the epoxy will sand not so easy (harder) you will end up with a ridged effect that will need to be filled again.

Hand sand with a wood block. Fumed silica with 2:1 mix RAKA is a pretty usable and easy to sand mix for filling stuff.
all good info gentlemen. When my friends ask how I do all of the things I do I always tell them; I just asked my other friends how! ;-)
Hey there Steve,

Perhaps you have not noticed, but, there are a few of us ladies here too.
MY manners?? My apologies Miss, as one of the last true Southern Gentleman I admit that I wrongly assumed that this is a "man only" hobby. I can tell by looking that many of the boats took a womans touch to be as beautiful as they are.
Perhaps women boatbuilders are a geographical phenomenon. The massive amount of rain we get here in Seattle turns everyone into boatbuilders. I sure ran into many talented lady sailboat builders during my dory project.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service