Randy, I know you have discussed the use of Cote-L or "Duraback" in the past, and I vaguely remember you saying that you use it on the inside floor of your boats.  I am considering this also and wanted to know what your experiences have been adhering it to different coating substances such as epoxy, varnish, etc... 

Would you touch on whether or not this will adhere well to the above mentioned coatings.  I want to do some "clear coat" from System Three on the inside of the boat and was wondering if I should tape off and avoid the inside bottom if Cote-L or "Duraback" is to be used.

JD

Views: 179

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Durabak will stick to just about anything. I used it on the floor of my stitch and glue drifter (photos in my gallery) and haven't had any issues with it. Awesome stuff! There is no need to use the "clear coat" on the bottom if you are planning on using durabak. If the bottom is already varnished just rough up the existing varnish with some 80 grit sandpaper, thoroughly clean it and then wipe it down with Xylene. Definetely tape of anything you don't want durabak on.

Josh
Durabak is made for marine topside floor surface. Josh has it just right. It is tough, and sticks.

We always use epoxy to seal the bottom first. The main reason is the clear coat is thin and has some flex. It will run into the joints sealing them. The Durabak is thick and will cover the joint but not run into a joint if there is any space. I like the bit of protection from the clear coat. That process is more expensive and not entirely necessary.
Thank you Randy. This is exactly what I wanted to hear! I know the clear coat will cost extra but just knowing that under the Durabak everything is sealed tight will put my mind at ease. You know, if you want it to turn out right, sometimes you have to make an investment in better quality product and procedures. At least that's my 2 cents...for what they're worth.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service