Hi everyone!
Just signed in, great place!

I´m looking forward to build my first boat this year, have been doing some research and was convinced I'd go the stich & glue route until I found this site and started to see and read about framed boats; now I´m not so sure which construction method to choose.

I have some basic wooworking skills and tools, and have been making bamboo fly rods the last five years.

I´d like to listen to your opinion on the pros and cons of each construction method.
Thanks!

Felipe

Views: 2997

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Felipe, Thanks for sharing the rod pictures. I am in the process of finishing an 18 foot Don Hill plan driftboat . In hind site maybe a kit would have got me in the water sooner,but I did not have the funds to do it all at once. Have paid as I went the last 15 months. I have had to order supplies and such too from both coasts ... order, wait, work etc. Everyone I have dealt with have been great and supplied me as fast as regular shipping could get it to the middle of Kansas. Could save alot of time if one had everything on hand...kit?? The build was fairly quick and very enjoyable... Hey I am actually building a boat! It was changing the seat design(all winter) and all all the new skills with epoxy and fiberglass and now in to the varnish and sanding, Mercy!!!!! By the way any one spray the varnish on? Dealing with the weather and humidity. Have been rolling it on and then feathering it with a brush ready to apply # 7coat. This is just the out side. Maybe it will be a "10" at 20 feet. I have broken the 400 hour mark the end of July since May 4 2008 when I started. I hope August will bring it to completion and into the water. It has been and is an adventure, it's not perfect but it is my expression, education and current joy . Steve Sobba
"It has been and is an adventure, it's not perfect but it is my expression, education and current joy."

Well put Steve - that is exactly how I feel about my new boat and the experience of building her.
Felipe
Do you know Mario Calviello. He does bamboo ferrules like the rod in your picture. The cane work is similar. Beautiful work.
Mark Heskett
Yes Mark, I do know Marcelo, we are friends and happen to live quite close to each other. I owe him much of my rodmaking knowledge, his work is true art.
I´ve read you are a rodmaker too, have you got any pics of your rods?
I guess things can´t get any better than fishing your own bamboo rods from your own wooden driftboat. ;)
I´ve started my own boat (stitch & glue) a couple weeks ago, this is as addicting as rodmaking!
I really admire the work Marcelo does. The bamboo ferrule looks tricky. I haven't attempted that yet. I'll post a couple of pics of my rods. Want to go down to the river and take a couple of picture with the Rogue river in the background. All I have now are shop pictures. Good luck with your drift boat project. There is a guy in the area that has a 17' Tateman for sale. I might look at it. A 17' is bigger than I want but It dosent hurt to look.
Mark

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service