Hey friends - hope you are all enjoying the holidays...
So just thinking about the various jet sleds I see running around on some of our rivers here... Has anyone ever built a really sweet wood jet sled? A jet-pump outboard - maybe a forward center console steering wheel with controls. But the boat would still be rowable in a pinch. Electric winch anchor system mounted on the bow of the boat.

I attached a few pics of the type of boat I am talking about. I think I might be getting sick again...
Let me know what you guys think - any experience with this type of boat? Waste of time to consider building one from trees?

Views: 18580

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Jason -- Another reply after another six months....just wanted to post with you the newest picture of what is almost a completed wooden sled/drifter (haven't found a moniker for this thing yet).  I just lack the oars and locks, and some hardware for using an anchor or lead weight.  I incorporated a jet steering system that allows me to use my feet when going downstream like airplane rudder pedals  while looking over the transom and drifting downstream, or swivel this seat to the bow (which is mounted over the gas tank) and use a joy stick when jetting in the same direction as the bow is pointing.  I'm feeling that with practice with the jet steering and skillful throttle application this boat could easily be used to power drift down through difficult water.  Might be like patting your head while rubbing your stomach but with practice..... the throttle is mounted on that pipe alongside the seat box and can be slid in both directions to accomodate the direction of the seat.

The lady in the picture is my 92 yo mother construction superintendent - she pokes her head through the garage door once in a while to make sure I'm still around. 

I'm gussying up the new-to-me trailer for this boat, and when I finish this in a week or so I'll take it down to the lake and see if it works.  Then write what I hope will be an interesting report to my fellow boat builders.

Don,

This is really impressive. I am really interested to hear how the boat handles under power and when rowed. I like the idea of a power drifter for some of the bigger slower water here, and am currently compiling info on the topic and checking out some designs on the rivers we fish. 

Nice work, and keep us posted as you get closer to launch. Thanks for sharing!

jason

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service