Hello!
I'm wanting to design/build a multi-purpose pram. I realize it will be a compromise. I weigh ~ 220# and my dog ~100#. I would like a pram that I can take out 'round the lake margins for ducks or fishing, or/and across and down the river (no whitewater). I think the flyfishing, drift prams are too much of a driftboat for my purposes. And the basic/typical pram design needs a little alteration for what I want out of it. I would like to load 400#- 450#, safely. This would be a stitch 'n glue project.

I plan to build something like the Hudson Springs Pram: http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/me...ings/index.htm

I wouldn't put the seat in. This would be a more basic/simple design.

But, I want to put more rocker in it, especially the narrow, upstream transom. And I plan to rake the wide transom back and rocker it up, for rocky river use.

Z's Drifter looks nice!,, but I want a lighter boat:
http://www.woodenboatpeople.com/foru...s-drifter-pram

I'm seeing 10' prams with about 46" bottoms. Can/should I go narrower?

How much should I raise/rocker the two ends?

I would appreciate any/all thoughts on my concept, so far!

Many thanks,,, Ken

Views: 6571

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ya, I'm pretty sold on the pram idea.  I did run across and bookmark Sandy's "Buffalo".  I like the looks of both your boats, as well as a number of other wooden and alum. drifters.

Since I'm planning on using this, primarily for over-the-wader transport for duck hunting and 'cross river ferry, rather than whitewater, I'm thinking I don't need as much of a boat, or rocker as these nice boats you guys are building?

Dave, if your boat were stripped down and lightened up, do you think it'd come in under 100#?  I was seeing some rowing prams in the 10' range, talking 'bout 65#.

Thanks again to all!.... Ken

Hello Ken, I wrote a long answer on my email about your question but I dont think you got it. My boat was built by my brother from Don Hill plans slightly modified. My boat is very stable,not at all easy to tip,I stand in it as much as I sit. It handles in the river very well,but is not light to carry around,dont think we ever wieghed it,but two men know we have ahold of something.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service