Hello all. I’m new to this forum, but I have to say in two nights of reading, I’ve learned quite a lot about wood drift boats. Why only two nights? Because I’ve spent the last 6 months contemplating building an aluminum drifter and never considered wood…till now.

I bought this boat for a hundred bucks with 2 decent wood oars, bronze oarlocks and a gallon of Penefin Marine oil. Keep in mind, my intended use for this boat is to use it for one fishing season and possibly a couple camping trips in order to determine if I want to build another to my personal liking. The boat will be used on the Trinity, a 500-2000 cfs river with up to class 2 waters where I fish I’m guessing. It will contact bottom now and then. I have no experience rowing a drifter, but have fished the same river from a small raft numerous times.

What I’d like is ideas concerning the design and origin of the boat as well as comments, advise and recommendations regarding my plan of attack (given my intended use).

The boat for the most part is original, however the last owner built new seats and added a solid ½” plywood floor covering over ¾ of the bottom ribs. (excuse the possible incorrect terminology, I’m new). Otherwise the boat description is as follows:

• 15’6” overall length
  • 13’4” bottom length
  • 47 ½” bottom width
  • 68” beam at the outside shear rail
  • 34” stem
  • 19” transome
  • 22” gunwhale at the oar lock
  • 9 ribs of 1 ¼ x 3” stock (unknown wood)
  • Shear rails are 7/8 x 1 ½” fir and attached with #10 SS wood screws.
  • Bottom and sides ¼” fir ply. But joint…no scarf joint.
  • 1 ¼” ring shank bronze nails throughout. A few screws here and there.
  • Rocker from flat floor measures 7 ½” in front x 6” in back.
  • Interior was painted white
  • Exterior sides painted forest green over light green over white(or primer)no glass or epoxy
  • Bottom was fiberglassed. (removed)
  • Never had any chine caps or side boards that I could tell.

Generally speaking, the ribs and all other structural framework seem solid. The bottom is also mostly solid but has 2 holes I’ve ground out to about 2”. The sides are not as solid as the bottom and are somewhat weathered. They have 3 or 4  2” holes I’ve ground out to 2” and another rotted hole that’s about 4 x 6”near the chine (chine log is solid). The painted interior looks ok, but is starting to check in most places.

Keeping in mind my intended use and after reading ideas on this forum, here’s my plan of attack:

• Sand entire bottom and sides removing all loose paint, epoxy and dead wood.
  • Grind out rott and holes and vacuume clean.
  • Patch the large hole in the side with a 6 x 18” x ¼” ply scarfed plug epoxied and screwed to available ribs. (system 3 epoxy)
  • Repair other 2” holes using filler, epoxy and glass matt.
  • Radius outer edge of chine and apply 6” fiberglass tape with epoxy.
  • Cover bottom edge to edge with 20 oz matt and epoxy.
  • Paint sides, shear to chine with exterior porch and deck enamel.
  • Install oiled AC ¼” plywood scarf joined shoe over entire bottom using ss screws and? Adhesive.
  • Install chine cap flush with exterior bottom ply shoe.
  • Install rock guards (side boards?)
  • Paint shear rails
  • Ignore interior checked paint until I catch my first fish of the season.

What do you all think? Am I on the right track? Is the ¼” ply shoe over glassed ¼” bottom adequate? At this point, I don’t want to spend a bunch of money on this project as I’m not positive I’ll want to keep this boat. It’s kinda big and usually I fish alone. Any ideas or advise are welcome. Awesome site with lots of passionate participants by the way!

Troy Nicolls

Redding, CA

Views: 287

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Troy,

It looks like you have a boat that is worthy of a restoration project. Sounds like you have a good idea of how to proceed. Here are a couple of things that caught my attention.
Bottom: I have never seen a 16'x48" boat with just a 1/4" bottom, but yours might just be that. If that is the case I would suggest epoxying another 1/4" piece of marine fir to the old bottom and then cover that with 20 oz. triaxial cloth and epoxy. Triaxial cloth would be much more appropriate than mat. I like to run that cloth to the edge of the bottom and then use a marine bedding compound (3M 101) to seal the chine joint and cap. Some prefer to round the edge and run the cloth over the chine joint and bed and cap over that. Both techniques seem reasonable but water has a better chance of seeping under cloth than under bedding compound at this important joint. The cap is very important as it adds strength to the place that really takes the brunt of hits. Think of the bedding compound as a flexible gasket under the cap. Don't skimp on compound here. It should ooze out as the cap is tightened down. Tighten too much and the bedding joint is starved of bedding material. Wipe the excess or wait till it is cured and cut it off with a razor knife.

Good luck with your project. I'm sure that others will jump in here to give advice as they see fit.
Al
I thought of epoxying another 1/4" ply to the bottom, but thought just adding a shoe might be easier. I hate to half-ass a job like this, but I have to keep in mind economy and my intended use.

Restoration? Ah..that scares me. Generally speaking I'm a function over form kind of guy. I like to think of it as a resurection rather than a restoration (in fact, the seat has the words "thank you jesus" routed into the cross support). However, I look at the boats built and restored on this forum and I get really excited! I'm a big fan of recycling/reusing and just finished "resurecting" a decrepid 70 year old house. I built a similar sized house the year before and can tell you I easily spent more time on the resurection project, so I kind have to remind myself just how much time I have available for this project.

I will research the availability and cost of marine ply locally and decide from there.

Question? What is the best way to repair 2" holes (after grinding) in plywood?

How much west system epoxy am I likely to need to: 1 laminate the additional 1/4" ply. 2 cover 20 triaxial cloth on the bottom. 3 coat the sides to prep for paint?

thanks..troy
I just bit the bullet and ordered 2 sheets of 1/2 AB marine ply. One week delivery. I guess I'll be pulling off the bottom this weekend. Any advise on pulling those bronze ringshank nails? Or should I just cut them with a sawsall?
Troy

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service