Lately I've been hearing quite a bit about on stream repairs of wooden boats. I always thought this was a bit odd. I've been running a 17x52 framed boat for over fifteen years and have never had to do an on stream repair. I've hit lots-o-rocks. It's usually goes something like.. "oh, look at that Osprey--WHAM". Most rivers in Oregon require you to pay attention. But in all my rock smashes I've never had to repair a boat on the river.

Let me know your experience. Is this a new thing because of less chine protection on some boats, or am I just a wimp on the river.

Views: 234

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Randy,
We rarely have to do any Stream repairs. It is alway a good Idea to carry Duct Tape incase you have a leak. Gets you by until you can fix it with Epoxy. Chines need to be beefie for strength and for tracking.
Ken Helfrich
eight years drifting and I've never had an on the stream repair. Knock on WOOD. Now if you had brought up on the road boat trailer repair and mishaps....well, that rings a big bell.
I agree, from personal experience, with Ken Helfrich's recommendation about duct tape. About 20 years ago (or more) I had a major fracture near the chine on the Three Forks - Rome section of the Owyhee. I think Ken was on the trip. Anyway, we turned my boat over and roasted the damaged area with a fire, then did the same to the outside. This allowed the plywood to dry enough to bond with the tape, which was applied in overlapping layers, and changed nightly. Oh, about never having to do an emergency repair - that works if you never run the super tough waters, If you do, you know that someone on your trip will have his number come up every decade or so. That stretch of the Owyhee, the Illinois, and the Middle Fork all all such that there is an emergency wooden boat repair outfit along.
To all,

Best to be prepared.

Those who have replied to this thread have stated that they have never needed to deal with anything other then minor repairs on the river. Here is a bit of the history of river events I have seen in the past few years.

To start I built my boat about 8 years ago. I took one hard hit on the chine which required a minor repair when I got home. Most damage to my boat has been caused by trailer problems.

I helped a friend build his boat 2 years ago. On it's first trip down Desolation on the Green in Utah. The boat hit a rock which cracked the bottom in 2 places. One place was leaking and needed a glass/epoxy repair. This happened in spring with plenty of water. The second incident was with the same boat in West Water Canyon on the Colorado above Moab. The boat hit a rock which punched a hole through the chine and cracked the bottom. It was March with low flow of 3400. This required an epoxy putty patch. Later that same day the boat got pushed into a wall putting a crack in the rear side. Duct tape took care of this one.

This past Oct, we had a boat hit rock in Cow Swim rapid in low water again in Desolation. The damage was an 8 inch piece of plywood punched in on the side about 6 inches above the water line. The plywood was folded back in place and was held together with fast cure epoxy putty.

These events happened to 2 very good boaters so It can happen at any time to anyone.

Another friend put a hole in the side of his dory in low water below the gates of Ladore on the Green. It required more then duct tape. This happened near the place Powell lost his first boat after leaving Green River WY. I was not on this trip.

This past spring we did a high flow trip down the Yampa out of Colorado down to the Green. We had 3 dories all which had no trouble at all. Another party smashed a dory about 3 times. The last hit put a 2 foot crack along the stem and it was being towed to the take out. We did not see any of the events causing the damage.

After doing 2 trips down the Grand Canyon, the big rapids of the Colorado can destroy just about anything. We had one dory on both trips which never touched a rock.

--------

When we do these extended 7 day plus trips on bigger water we take lots of stuff. Tool, clamps, drills etc, etc. We usually have a battery on each boat with an inverter to run power tools. We have about 2 quarts of epoxy and fillers on each dory with pieces of glass and a few plywood scraps. Checkin on these rivers requires a reasonable repair kit for all boats.

So far we have had no trouble at all dealing with the events which have occurred on the river because we have always had enough on hand to take care of things.

I don't always have this much stuff if I am just doing a fly fishing day float on the Green where there are many people and only a 3 - 4 mile walk back to the put in or take out.

Good luck to all and as one friend recommends, "just don't hit rocks".

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service