So when it comes time for attatching the ribs to the sides of the boat, in the 08' McKenzie drift manual on page 30 it has a picture of a framed boat with the sides and says "Here the boat has the transom and each frame nailed in place and glued with Gel-Magic." But i was looking through the forum and found a post about using 3M 5200 instead of using the epoxy, and I was wondering if the 5200 is truely the way to go for attatching the ribs, chines, and the transom?

Here is the link to the post I am refering too: http://www.woodenboatpeople.com/forum/topics/install-ribs-and-chine...

Views: 414

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I used the Gel Magic where the frames and sides meet, along with ring nails. I used 5200 for the chine batten, transom battens and the false stem. Also used it to attached the bottom of the boat... 5200 is a pain to clean up... make sure you wipe as you go with thinner of some sort.
Ahhhh you've uncovered a little conflict within the Tatman boat camp. I like to use Gel Magic when installing the frames for the reasons that Jason mentions below. It is easier to clean up and is a great gap filling glue. Because I write the manual that is the way our boat kit manual describes the instillation.

3M5200, affectionately called Death Paste by many, is more flexible and has a longer drying time. Sanderson loves 3M5200 and uses it to install the frames. Gel Magic, wood flour and epoxy combo, or 3M5200 adhesive can each be interchanged for boat parts joints that are also held with fasteners.
Randy

This answrs some of the questions that I e-mailed you. Thanks.
I use no glue or 5200 on the frames where they meet the side panels. Just ring nails. I glue the hell out of the bottom with Sika 291or 3M 5200 and use it on the stem and transom. I just don't enjoy the cleanup on the side panels and don't feel it buys you much. I may be wrong, but haven't noticed a weakness by not using it. Either way will be fine. As a first time builder, don't underestimate the nastiness of the 5200!
I'd agree with the comment above, 5200 is definitely nasty. If I get so much as a smidgen on my skin I'm broken out in hives for a couple weeks. I swear, even the fumes give me a rash . . . next time I apply some I think I'm going full biohazard suit style with a respirator.

Anyone else have this problem with the 5200?

I've never used the Gel-Magic and have 5200 on the bottom of my ribs, chine, chine batten, stem, etc. I also have noting where the ribs meet the side--they are attached with stainless screws. With the exception of the problem above and what a pain it is to clean, it works great.
There's not much really "magic" about GelMagic. It is a two part epoxy made by System Three that has silica and some other stuff to thicken it and make it a strong gap filling glue. They do a neat trick where the epoxy mixture is blue and the hardener is amber. Once they are mixed together they become a yellow-white color. It is very forgiving. It is used the same as epoxy and wood flour, but I like it because it doesn't sag the way epoxy/wood flour mix can. It cures overnight and can be sanded the next day.

3M 5200 drys in 24 hours but takes the rest of the week to fully cure.

I have a pretty serious contact dermatitis problem from my days as a photographer. I'm old enough that bathing in developers and fixers was the normal darkroom procedure. Today I still have to be very careful, but I don't have a reaction near to what you are describing Karl. It sounds like you are seriously allergic to something in the 3M. Sounds like the biohazard suit is the right plan.
"Death Paste" got a good laugh out of me. Just went through three solid days of 4200 slathered all over my hands. Being quite unawares, i smoothed the stuff out with my fingers, as i usually do with caulks. That evening i learned the stuff would NOT come off. Neither Go-Jo pumice, paint thinner, MEK, or Acetone worked. For the next two days while the bedding of the floor rub strips continued, i avoided the stuff like the plague. After two days it started comming off my paws a little, and then on the third day, GoJo pumice worked to get most of it off if i kept working the GoJo after it had dried out on my hands.

Great stuff with regards to bonding, but LOOK OUT otherwise. And i was using the 4200, NOT the 5200! I dread to think...

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service