been making some good headway.  sunk the last screw last night.  i went back today and filled a million (all right, 100) countersink holes w/ colored epoxy, leaving the holes on the bottom few inches of the gunnel open for now.  my question, should i fill them w/ 5200 and a putty knife? or use epoxy like the rest?  i will be glassing and painting the bottom 4 inches or so, then keeping the rest natural (epoxy and epiphanes everywhere else).  i would assume 5200 would work better, but have never used it to fill holes, and i know i can sand the putty out to make it perfect.  ideas?  thoughts from those who have gone before?  one more question, i have a joint that i centered on both sides where the plywood meets on the side.  i had planned to set a brass "inlay" about 3/4" wide to kill it out and dress it up at the same time.  any ideas where to find something like that?  i inquired about brass plates before and got tons of good info...

attached some pictures below, would you believe those top pieces of mahogany came out of 10 inch wide boards.  none is going to waste though, i milled the leftovers down to 2 3/8 and saved what i could.  my buddy is coming over now to pick up the shorter ones i dont want to keep.  like a modern day native american...

also, the gunnel trim pieces were just tacked in place when these pics were taken and they need some sanding love on the radiuses (radiie?).  also, the stems were not finished out yet.  w/ no plans for this boat, there were some funky parts to say the least.  all in all im pleased w/ it though.  ill do some sanding tomorrow and get some pretty pics up.  w/ the whole project being mobile now, i plan to do my painting in the yard under a giant tarp tent instead of in my dust filled shop

Views: 246

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

nobody knows about epoxy or 5200?  really?  i will probably use 5200 then, since ive been sanding the epoxy for the last three hours.  its sanded down to 120 grit, will probably have to go more on the oak, still a few swirl marks.  180 probably?  might as well go everywhere w/ it i guess.  gave some of the boat a mineral spirits rubdown to see how the grain will look and how my sanding went, with good results.  see pics below.
Attachments:

That is one solid looking boat you have there.

5200 is an adhesive sealant.  It cures over 5 - 7 days and stays flexible after cure.  It's not really sand able.  As for epoxy,  you would mix a small amount then add glass bubble or phenolic micro bubbles.  This will make the epoxy thick and it will be sand able after it cures.  Adding a bit of silica will make it smooth but,  too much and it will cure very hard and not sand well.

If you are filling counter sunk screw heads I would cover the screw head with a small piece of tape to keep the epoxy out of the slot.  If you ever need to dig them out it will make things easier.

As for bonding things together I mostly use epoxy but,  on some applications where a bit of flexibility is required I use 5200.  One thing about 5200, when it has fully cured it will be there permanently.  5200 has amazing bonding power.  Don't use it in places you may wish to dissemble things down the road.

thanks for the input.  i have used 5200 in the past, mostly for thru hull connections and the like on my (gasp) fiberglass boat.  i went ahead and used 5200 where the deck meets the gunnels (on the bottom).  i want a bit of flex there, the last thing i want is cracking down the line.  now i am just waiting for somebody to come over to help me flip it. 

one more question:  what is the appropriate round over to glass over?  will a 3/16 router bit do the trick?  or should it be bigger?

I use at least a 1/2 round over.  The lighter your cloth the more you can get away with but it is best to go as round as possible.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service