Hello Everyone,

My name is Guy and this is my first post in this forum.  I am here because I want to build a wooden drift boat and, undoubtedly, I will occasionally need advice of the pool of experts and experienced drift boat builders on this forum.

In preparation for this project I have read and studied three books: Drift Boats and River Dories by R. L. Fletcher, Boatbuilding with Plywood by G. L. Witt, and Covering Wooden Boats with Fiberglass by A. H. Vaitses.  I have also developed my own set of construction plans based off of the "Original McKenzie Double-Ender with Transom" in Fletcher's book.  I used and MS Excel spreadsheet to calculate all of the dimensions, cut angles, compound angles, and bevel angles of all frame components and I used Pilot3D software to calculate the as-cut dimensions of the plywood sides and bottom.  At this point I am pretty comfortable with the mechanics of construction and I think that I am just about ready to start purchasing lumber.

Presently, I plan to use Meranti Hydro-Tek plywood; 1/4-in. on the sides and 1/2-in. on the bottom.  I found plenty of places to purchase these materials, but they are all far away from Idaho Falls, Idaho, and as a result shipping costs more than the materials.  Are any of you aware of a business within a few hundred miles of Idaho Falls that sells this plywood?  I have a few requests in to the local lumber companies, but I have yet to talk with someone who has heard of this material before.

I also plan to use Port Orford Cedar (CVG) for the straight frame sections and White Oak (quater sawn) for the bent frame sections (chine logs and sheer rails).

Thank you, Guy

Views: 104824

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Martinac. The first five side-to-side frames are cut but not yet fastened. After this framework is complete, I’ll make additional side-to-side frames that go in between these. The top surfaces of these frames are 6 inches above the top surface of the keel board. This gives me a level plane through the hull from which to support the floors, engine stringers, fuel tank(s), cabinetry, etc. 

Martinac. Decision time. This was my original plan. These are the engine stringers (a.k.a., engine beds or engine rails). They are about 4 by 5 inches and 6 feet long. They get recessed flush into the side-to-side frames. And I was planning to add two additional side-to-side frames. So the engine stringers will span five side-to-side frames. This will be much stronger than the original construction.

However, I may go with longer engine stringers that extend from the transom into the cabin area. I’m not sure yet. 

Martinac. I changed up the engine stringers. The new engine stringers are Sapele. 2 inches by 6 inches by 11 feet. They span eight of the side-to-side frames. The horizontal distance between the engine stringers is 20.5 inches. They will be recessed into the side-to-side frames. I have one more side-to-side frame to make. 

One last picture of the original engine beds before they go into the trash. 

Martinac. The side-to-side frames are called athwart frames. Just learned that today. This photograph shows a knee between the bottom and side frame. The top of the knee will support the deck level. Every knee is different. 

Martinac. I’m still working on the knees. The tops of the athwart frames are level with each other. The tops of the knees aft of the bulkhead are 4.75 inches above the athwart frames. And the tops of the knees forward of the bulkhead are 12 inches above the athwart frames. If needed, the knees can be trimmed later. The pine slates are just temporary bracing. 

Martinac. Time to do some work on the bow. Sanding, seal coating, and probably some fiberglass. 

Martinac. This section of the bow has some old repairs. I’m well on the port side now. I sanded the outside of the hull to expose the repairs. Then I used a plunge router to remove the old filling materials. Then I removed the old backer panels from the inside of the hull.

To make the repairs, I’ll seal coat the plywood inside and out. The fill the Dutchmen with fiberglass fabric and epoxy. Then lay fiberglass on the inside. And make new backer panels from two layers of 1/4-inch marine plywood. 

Martinac. Old repair on starboard side. 

Martinac. I suspect that this boat has only been painted twice. Once when new and once God only knows when. I see evidence of two waterline stripes and three coats of bottom paint. But I suspect the first coat of bottom paint was a primer coat. A 63 year old boat should have been painted more than that. 

Martinac. Port and starboard damage. Those deep groves were not made by me. I don’t know what caused the original problem. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service