Thanks again to all that suggested I buy Roger Fletchers book. Loaded with info! 

So I have decided to build the Original Mackenzie Double-Ender with Transom(16'). I am now looking for materials to purchase. I have many options near me, but so many options that I don't know what to go with. Hopefully you guys can help out a little. Reminder this will be my first build, so I guess I am looking for answers on what is going to be easier to work with. Also should I consider a different boat?

Side Panels- Hydrotek of Fir? Cost wise there isn't much of a difference. One question I do have though is this. Because I am building the 16 footer I will need to scarf more than 2 sheets together because of the loss of 3" from the scarf.  Would you guys recommend scarfing in a small piece tward one end of the boat or somewhat in the center of the side panel? Or should I say what is going to be the stronger of the two choices? Also I know Rogers plan calls for 1/4" thick, but would 3/8" perform better or be necessary? I think it would be a little harder to bend, but I am more than likely over thinking the strength thing.

Bottom Panels- 1/2" or 3/8" with 1/4" shoe?  I do plan to fiberglass the bottom with a few extra coats of epoxy.

Chine logs and caps/sheer rail- Fir or white oak quartersawn? I think the fir would be easier to bend because it is softer, but at the same time it would be a little weaker because of the softness. The fir in one piece will be easier to get than white oak quartesawn in one piece near me. 

Stem- fir or oak? 

Any info would be a great help, thanks in advance! Brian

Views: 978

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Use the search function to locate lots of information on epoxy sources and gluing scarfs.  Briefly, you will want to use unthickened epoxy on both sides of the joint, let that soak in and start to set-up (maybe even add a second coat if it all gets sucked into the end grain), and then use epoxy adhesive on both sides of the joint, align the boards, clamp lightly, and wait for the epoxy to set up about 24 hours before bending.

Epoxy adhesive can be a specific product like System 3 gel magic or T-88, or West Systems adhesives, or you can thicken general laminating epoxy with various silica, wood flour, etc.  See the System 3 website for a manual on using epoxy, and West Systems site for a boat building manual that details all these topics.

If you google plywood scarf joint you should locate a number of sites that give very detailed explanations with pictures.

@ Dave Z.- I was looking at your Pram boat on your blog. I love the look of it and the versatility. I have been contemplating on ordering the plans for it. What would be the best way of getting them? Through you or Roger? Also I know whatever boat I choose is defiantly going to take some time and work. I am currently worried about garage space, as I have a 16' sylvan in the garage right now, and don't want to empty all of my gear out of it and have the boat sitting outside. I have been trying to score a deal on some shop space so I wouldn't have to worry about the space factor. When you get a chance let me know on those plans. Thanks again for all of your help.

@Eric- Thanks for the epoxy info. I guess what I was trying to get at was, is there a brand that is better than others? I recently saw the system 3 on a site that I might get my marine ply from. Is that stuff any good, or is epoxy pretty much all the same with just a different label on it? Thanks again for the input

Brian,

I sent you a request to be my new friend here so we could PM.

in short, go to Roger and order a set of plans if you like.  If you order the plans, it comes with a link unlock access on Roger's site that has a wealth of information about the build.  I'm available for phone/email support on the build if you need it.  Let us know what you decide.  Consider that RR too!

Brian,

Use epoxy from a supplier to the boat building community - System 3, West System, RAKA, MAS if you want to ensure you are using water proof formulations.  They all work.  See posts from a few weeks back on an epoxy that is reported to be more flexible than others.  Especially some of the super quick epoxies are water resistant, but not water proof.  As Dave Z points out, you will put in appreciable time and expense into building a boat finding out later that a hardware store product was not up to the task would be disappointing.

Many years ago I had a rush job finishing the installation of minicell foam saddles and knee pads in a whitewater canoe, so picked up a can of off-brand contact cement at Long's Drugs rather than the top notch stuff at the local hardware store, 'cause they were open late in the evening.  Driving through Nevada a few days later, in July heat, the brand-x contact cement was softening and all the fittings had to be removed or they would have blown out along the highway.

Good luck with your project.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service