I'm over hauling an old drift boat, it's my first boat.  Might have done better to just start from scratch and build one but I didn't, I bought this project.   15'4" straight line end to end x 6' at oar locks  48" wide bottom. Still a ways to go before finishing. I should have it in the water this spring. The oars that came with it measure 8' long. One has to be replaced and I want to carry a spare. My friend has an aluminum drift boat about the same size. He uses 9' oars. Is there advantage to going to a longer oar or will it get in the way?
Thanks for any help.
Mark

Views: 317

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I believe it`s good to use oars as long as possible - we launched a 4.7m x 2m boat a few weeks ago, and put 2,7m long oars ( thats about 9`ft). The boat goes faster than expected, and it feels good to have a lot of lever when rowing. Here`s a short video ... oarlocks are making a funny sound, no grease ...
Thank you
The equation that seems to hold true in my experience is (X being the distance between oarlocks) X x 1.5 + 6". That would call for 9'6" oars. The big Briggs boat we run are about 6'6" at the oarlocks and work well with a ten-foot oar. It seems like smaller, tighter water calls for a bit shorter oar, though. Borrow your friend's 9' oars and compare.
Thanks, Good idea I will try my friends oars before I buy any.
I have a nominal 14' boat that was first outfitted with 8' Gull oars. I switched to 8' 6" Sawyers and the difference was absolutely remarkable. It's 64" between the oarlocks. Using your formula, one comes up with 8' 6". Your formula sure works in my case.
Hartmut,
I throw a handful of water on my oarlocks when I hear the squeaks. It sometimes gives me just a few minutes of quiet. If so I repeat the splash. After a few splash's, it's all quiet.

I've really never figured out why the oarlock squeaks are only happening once and a while. I may have them two outings in row then not again for month's.

Mark,

sorry for the off topic direction. Good luck and have a fun with your first boat. I'm still in mine.
I row 9 or 9 foot 6 oars depending on the river. In some places 10 foot is too long in a rocky slot.

I do think 8 foot is too short but, oars are a very personal subject. If at all possible try a few different lengths. 9, 9-6 and 10. You need to see for yourself. Too long and you need to pull very hard.

There is also a major difference between aluminum, wood (ash - spruce) and composite shafts. You really need to find what you like.

I do not like heavy 10 foot ash oars and I will tell you right now I am in the minority. Most white water people seem to love those heavy things. It is also silly to use heavy ash oars on light class II or III trout water.

Borrow as many oars as you can before you buy. It's the only way to find out what you like. There really is no rule.
Thank you
8'6 or 9'. If its a fishin' boat, get light oars, fir or spruce. If you run some class 3 get ash.

Or make a few sets. Oars aren't rocket science, especially if you are building the boat in the first place!
I, too, am baffled by some boatmen's desire for heavy, stiff oars. Even in the big water of Grand Canyon I go for the lightest, most flexible oars I can find--either very old Smokers, or newer ones that I have planed a few pounds off the blades.

I also agree--a little too short is way better than a little too long. Too short and you may have to take a few extra strokes--too long and they get heavy, they get too long to get out of the water in heavy chop, and they overpower you. We once switched oars between a Briggs with 10' oars and a wee skiff with 6' oars. I was able to hummingbird across the river easily in the Briggs with 6' oars, but the wee skiff had to be rescued.
Thank you

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service