My first glimpse of a drift boat was on the Cal Salmon as a kayaker in the late 70s - i was intrigued by the way the boat rode through the wave trains and could handle the water. I got a better look a bit later on a couple of Rogue trips, watching them through Blossom Bar... I thought I'd like to try that. The idea of building one was cemented a few years ago after a visit to Andy Hutchinson's shop and seeing his build of a decked boat in sapele - what a beautiful boat. So as a start, I got Roger's book and built a model, getting an idea of how things went together and where the challenges might be. This spring, I traveled to Flagstaff to attend Brad Dimock's class, where I met an incredible variety of skilled folks, all interested in building - not to mention a shop to die for. Then it was off to Oregon and the wooden boat festival. I stopped in Bend, where I picked up a trailer and a bunch of great information from Mike Baker - now I had a trailer, and needed a boat. Materials were a bit of a challenge - I originally wanted Port Orford Cedar for the frames - in Bend, there's a reliable supply from Orepac, but in Victor, where I live, no such luck. I ended up with Alaskan Yellow Cedar for about $7/bf. Hydrotek was next on the list. McBeath lists it on their web page, but there was a 2 month wait, so I ended up getting mine from Edensaw. Following Brad's lead, I'm using epoxy from Resin Research. Now for the fun stuff...

Views: 12518

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yep - I figure the bi-axial glass is the bottom just like it would be if it were applied directly over plywood.

The melted polypropylene cleans up off the multitool blades easily using a heat gun and a brass wire brush. 

I spent a fair bit of time on the edges of the Nidacore trying to maintain the same angle as the plywood sides - that involved using a straightedge, a block plane to trim, and thickened epoxy to fill. When I was satisfied with that, I wet out the top of the Nidacore so I'd need less resin on the next step, which is a layer of 18oz bi-axial. I checked my resin supply, and I have a half gallon left - do you think that's enough? I'd hate to run out before the next layer is saturated.  

18 or 12oz? You wrote 12 oz earlier you need at least the same amount of resin as you do glass in weight. So 12 oz needs 40 grams of epoxy a sq ft to wet out. So if you have 3 lbs of glass to wet out you need at least 3 pounds of epoxy
Oh and a gallon of resin is about 9 lbs

When it came time to cover the Nidacore, I discovered that what I had been shipped was a 25 oz bi-axial fabric - not what I really wanted. So while I was waiting for new cloth and more resin, I flipped the boat over and worked on the nails that had blown out of the sides of some of the ribs. Much of the damage was minor -

all I needed to do was thin down some Titebond III and inject the wound with a 21 gauge needle

then clamp it flush with a C-clamp protected with a bit of packing tape. About that time, the cloth arrived. I had read some posts about the difficulty of wetting out heavier bi-axial fabric, so I chose 12 oz for the bottom - now I needed to get the shop (and epoxy) warm enough. I jumped the thermostat wires on the garage heater so I could get more than 60 degrees out of it, and put the epoxy in a water bath on my trusty Coleman

I followed Tungsten's tip about laying a temporary layer of poly between the hull and the fabric to help with the final positioning of the cloth. With the shop at a toasty 75 degrees and the resin @ 80, things went smoothly. I followed with a filler coat of plain epoxy and two with a graphite mix - next step is a couple of coats of epoxy on the outside of the hull.

I guess it all depends on how much the boat will see rocks?Maybe hold off on the graphite until a test float or 2.One layer of 12oz is not much, approx 1/2 mm thick.

Hey David, Ive been keeping a close eye on your build, looking good. Was just wondering how did you measure out the graphite into the epoxy? Thats coming up this week on my project. I know too much is not good. Did you get a nice black finish from it? No pics? :) Maybe for crashing rocks (I wont be doing that here) but I thought that 12oz was pretty narly stuff. I`m glad the bottom doesnt need to look pretty.

Mike - here's a shot of the bottom. 

I suppose it would have been smoother if I'd used a bit of cabosil in the filler coats. I thought I was being pretty careful, but I ended up with a couple of wet bubbles and one dry one - I left the wet ones as is, but cut out the dry one and patched it - like you say, I'm glad it's the bottom. Good practice for the sides. 

Mike - The directions called for 1.5 tbsp per 8 oz of resin - I just re purposed a measuring spoon. Once the fabric fills, the surface is smooth & glossy. 

Thanks. Percentages by volumes dont really work for me. The west system I`m using has metered pumps on the cans, that works good for me,lol. I would think you could scuff sand and add more glass over that epoxy, same as the first coat, but we`ll let the experts chime in. Maybe should have went with that 25 oz you got first for rock boating

Mike - the West System instructions I have say "10 strokes each of resin and hardener from the 300 Mini Pumps will dispense 8 fl oz of epoxy." They call for 1 1/2 tbsp to be added to that amount. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service