2 months till the Colorado Wooden Boat Float.  Looking to get a head count of possible attendees.  Starting to put together arrangements for camping at Rancho Del Rio and having our Saturday post float BBQ there. 

Current Float Schedule:

Saturday, August 10th: Pumphouse to Rancho Del Rio   10 miles

Sunday, August 11th: Rancho Del Rio to Two Bridges   8 miles

Hope to see some new faces and some old ones too:

More info:  Mark Hilbert  (303)816-9175

Views: 1488

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

count me among the "old faces," I suppose ;)

Greg

I will definitely try to make it this year! I have never been on the Colorado in a drift boat , can I make it in a skiff or do i need a traditional style Mac? Thanks for the info. Terry

Terry,  I run a 14' Rapid Robert so it is definitely runnable in a smaller skiff than a larger boat. Shouldn't be any big holes, just mostly rocks to avoid. Second days section is easier than the first and more of a good option for those uneasy on the oars, new to the river or cautious of their boat.  Time will tell what the river flow will be. and I'm liking the lower stretches of this river all the time, some great fishing spots on lower stretch and was most enjoyable part of recent floats.

Greg, young man-old face. bring your best washers partner.

One month till the 3rd Annual Colorado Wooden Boat Float (aka Mark and Greg float fish the Colorado).  Lets hope they raise the flows some as it stands at 644 cfs currently.  Two years ago we had to wait for flows to get below 8,000 cfs now we hope they get above 1,000 cfs for optimal boating. 

We will be camping at a group site at Rancho del Rio this year so no need to carry camping gear in boats just set up camp night before or get car shuttled to Rancho during float.  Barbeque, drinks and shenanigans after float on Saturday.

Feel free to bring companions in other watercrafts (rafts/kayaks/etc)

Launch 9:00 am Pumphouse Rec Area, Kremmling, Colorado

Mark, sound like once again you will have a great time. I hope one day to join you folks.

Rick N

We'd love to have you along Rick!  Mark, I'm getting pumped for the trip.  BTW, I'm heading out with a crew to float Pumphouse to Catamount over 3 days next weekend.  We're putting in at Pumphouse on Friday, the 19th and are taking out at Catamount on the 21st.  Any chance that you might like to come along?  We currently have 2 or 3 boats and 6 guys with one on the bubble.  Let me know if you're interested.  Looking forward to seeing the Hanna on the water again!

Greg

Oh I'm interested but my budget doesn't agree! Next year perhaps.

Rick N

Hi Mark,

Wade Radina here. I'm in for the float but concerned about water levels--I've never floated this section below 1000, and never in my wooden boat. Is it ok at 700? See you in August, I'll be bringing Jeff Levin and one other.

Cheers,

Wade

Hi Wade,

I'm sure that Mark will chime in on this as well, but I typically don't float this section below 800 CFS.  I think that the water will still come up a bit as the upstream reservoirs release a bit more water to maintain the required levels for the senior water rights downstream, but we'll have to wait and see.  At 800 CFS, I'll normally rub the bottom on a few rocks.  What's your bottom material?  I run UHMW on the bottom and don't really have any issues as a result.  I think that we would be OK with empty boats (I usually carry camping gear) but we'll have to make a call closer to the trip.  

Greg

Every year we watch the flows for this thing and and end up making a judgement on what stretch to float for The Float.  If water is low we can always run the lower stretches below Rancho del Rio.  Greg will get a good feel for the river situation this weekend and I'll be up there in the coming weeks.  Base camp, Rancho del Rio, we can drive into and leave camp set up and go float from there.

Mark

Sounds great, I will be there. 

Cheers,

Wade

Flows are up to 1190 cfs presently and I will be running the same stretch this weekend that we will float in 2 weeks on The Float. More info upon my return.

Mark

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service