Hello Everyone,

My name is Guy and this is my first post in this forum.  I am here because I want to build a wooden drift boat and, undoubtedly, I will occasionally need advice of the pool of experts and experienced drift boat builders on this forum.

In preparation for this project I have read and studied three books: Drift Boats and River Dories by R. L. Fletcher, Boatbuilding with Plywood by G. L. Witt, and Covering Wooden Boats with Fiberglass by A. H. Vaitses.  I have also developed my own set of construction plans based off of the "Original McKenzie Double-Ender with Transom" in Fletcher's book.  I used and MS Excel spreadsheet to calculate all of the dimensions, cut angles, compound angles, and bevel angles of all frame components and I used Pilot3D software to calculate the as-cut dimensions of the plywood sides and bottom.  At this point I am pretty comfortable with the mechanics of construction and I think that I am just about ready to start purchasing lumber.

Presently, I plan to use Meranti Hydro-Tek plywood; 1/4-in. on the sides and 1/2-in. on the bottom.  I found plenty of places to purchase these materials, but they are all far away from Idaho Falls, Idaho, and as a result shipping costs more than the materials.  Are any of you aware of a business within a few hundred miles of Idaho Falls that sells this plywood?  I have a few requests in to the local lumber companies, but I have yet to talk with someone who has heard of this material before.

I also plan to use Port Orford Cedar (CVG) for the straight frame sections and White Oak (quater sawn) for the bent frame sections (chine logs and sheer rails).

Thank you, Guy

Views: 104862

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm still plugging away at the seat bases.

i like the idea of the pole seats,but i've never seen one at the rowers spot.Or is that were the umbrella fits:)

If my seating idea fails, I'll turn it into a party-barge with three umbrellas and moor it to the dock.  Progress on the boat has slowed.  I drew a big horn sheep tag in the Lost River Range and weekends are now spent scouting the high country.  Season is open from 8/30 to 10/13.  Wish me luck...

I got a little more work done on the seats. After I get the seat bases bolted into the frames, I'm going to install the oar locks.  Then I'm going to bring the boat to calm waters for a float test just to make sure that the seats and oar locks are properly positioned.

Here are some pictures of the oarsman's seat.

Here are some pictures of the back seat.

I finished the additional bracing on the front seats.  Now I'll go back to work on the decks.

I registered just so that I can give compliments and thanks for this thread. I've been following this build thread for a while, just lurking and watching it as it develops, and I have to say that I'm very impressed with your workmanship and attention to detail, Guy. Very inspiring!

Kibby,

Thank you for the kind words.  Good luck with your project and post often.  I got a lot of good advice from the folks on this web site.

Guy

I installed three additional supports, for the edges of the decks, along the length of the bottom frames.

Here is a series of pictures showing the installation of the decks and seats.  I'm getting closer to the float test!

looks good, and i like the open interior, but i think you are going to find out that the high back fishing style seat for the rower just isnt going to work. they are great and comfy for fishermen, but when you need to pull hard to manuever the boat you need to put as much energy into the stroke as possible. the high back reststricts your stroke pretty heavily and you cant lean back to pull harder.  even those low back rowers seats you see in rafts are too restricting to me. i row my bosses raft alot when i have to take out larger groups on fishing trips. its has a standard nrs low back rowers seat, and its fine for just holding against the bank, but i find it restricting enough that if i need to pull hard to make a quick move the only way to get enough power is to skooch up to when i am literally sitting on top of the seat back and make the move..its uncomfortable and kind of a pain. i have to moved the seat backwards to try and give more space for the oar stroke and my legs, but nothing really seems to work or make it better. in my boat which just has a flat bench with a throwable i have never had this problem...just my .02 and something to think about

Chris,hows the new boat?

Funny just yesterday i rowed a wooden boat up here on the Bow river.the owner had just replaced the rower seat with a high back one.i rowed for about 2 hours in total in a heavy wind.i found it to be very comfortable no problem at all.the back flexs a bit so as i pulled hard the back would give a little.for the most part in normal water i never need to pull that far back to make the boat move.maybe its just because of my size/wing span but also in my jon i have a high back and love it.i've rowed boats with the tractor style seat and had a sore back within minutes of rowing.

maybe alot depends on oar lock placment from the seat not sure.

I have rowed a few seats - though never a rope seat - and I could not be happier with my tractor seat. not an expensive driftboat tractor style seat, but a padded tractor seat from Tractor Supply Store for $69. great comfort and leverage.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service