Masking frames before installing dreaded 5200 and bottom?

Well warm weather is back to  New Hampshire and the garage is warm enough for epoxy and adhesives!

I am curious if anybody ever masks the frames and chine log before spreading  5200 and installing the bottom.  Lots of prep that may pay off during cleanup.  Boy I can't wait to float the river.

Ray C

Views: 551

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jim Ledger from the Wooden Boat Forum uses a putty knife and a pallet knife. He is also an absolutely talented boat builder.

Rick Newman

Hi Rick,

How have you been?  Winter is finally letting go over this a way.

Thanks for getting back to me.  I am not sure what I am looking at in the photo you posted.

I had to put the project on hold as the electric heat was racking up on the elec. bill.  Not it's a rush to the finish. 

Ray Cotnoir

Ray, I have been doing better now. I have moved a bunch of EBay items to the shed, cleaned up the shop, have the new firplace mantle about

I will try this reply again. This is the third time I have retyped my unfinished reply. Bottom line is I am back out in the boat shed/garage/woodshop doing woodwork and boat building. I will drive this weekend about 1,000 miles to get a driftboat trailer. Yahoo! Now I will have a way to move the boat.

Back to the picture. You are looking at the centerboard trunk and the frame work for the stuffing box for a Catboat.  This is the portion of this sailboat that will hold the retractable centerboard. This picture shows the two pieces joined together. The two faces that had the 5200 are now mated and bronze drifts (rods) have been pounded in and peened flat over a washer.

Here is picture of one prior to be pounded in.

Here is picture of the keel with the stern facing us and the bow stem in the far side of the picture. Just a little build, scheduled to take about ten years at the outset!

It is a very intriguing series of posts mixed with humor that is very informative and instructional. These pictures came from pages 28 and 29 of 46 pages. Here the link to the whole story. http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?79099-Lofting-the-Brewer... You will need to move back to page one for the rest of the story!

Hope this helps.

Rick Newman

Rick it looks like you have quite a project going there.  That looks like an ambitious build.

Great to hear you are back out in the shop.  Good luck on your 1000 mile journey.  When I built my boat 23 years ago, I had them ship trailer parts and a friend welded it up here. 

What we will do to put a boat in the water eh?

Ray

Ray, I wish I had the skills and wherewithal to build such a boat. The pictures are of Jim Ledger's boat and were shown initially to illustrate an example of 5200 application techniques. It is possible to apply 5200 without getting it everywhere. However I do not claim that ability! I can brush my teeth and end up with stains on my shirt!

I think that the pleasure of building a boat is important and a very big part of the entire boating process.

Rick Newman

Having a healthy fear of 5200 clean up based on the people here I have been masking everything that I put 5200 on.   I am also anal retentive about having clean glue lines and masking takes care of that.

I have had the best luck when taking the tape off after the 5200 has set up a while.  The only catch is taking the 5200 coated tape off with out getting it on everything including yourself.  

Andrew

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service