Well, I decided to start building a boat around two months ago. I entertained this idea a few years back but never pursued the idea. I started fly fishing and saw the need for a boat. I could have bought a used boat for around the same overall cost, after you include a trailer. But what fun is that? No beauty in a boat like that.

I decided on the Freestone Guide. I have already modified my side panels adding a recurve. I couldnt get exact dimensions on this so I had to wing it. Who knows how she will shape up. I can always take more out if I dont like it.

Here is a photo of the work area, my dads shop. We will have to tear down a wall to get the boat out! His idea, I only obliged to it being a good one!

Views: 5950

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I actually bought the curly maple on Ebay. I got all the walnut and cherry from a local dude who has a little bit of everything, ya know, the kind of guy who has never thrown anything away! I have another friend who has some spruce, lengthy stuff two I guess in 4/4. I havent seen it though, he says he dug it up and will bring it to me in a few days. Im really curious to see if its any good and I have no idea the difference between "sitka" and regular!

Dorf, try www.bearcreeklumber.com, that's where Guy F got his plywood. It's in Northeast Washington. www.aircraftspruce.com has high quality wood for spars and airplane construction, and www.woodfinder.com to search for nearby sources.

Josh, Sitka Spruce has a very high strength to weight ratio and was popular for aircraft construction, it's also popular for stringed instruments too. Here's a link to more info; http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/softwoods/sitka-...

Hope this helps.

Rick Newman

Thanks Rick. Ill have to check and see what species my spruce is when the guy drops it off. In addition to that though, what is a good wood for the interior framing for the dry boxes. I was thinking cedar because it is light and most of the support will come from the plywood anyways.

What do you guys think?

Im rapidly approaching the interior, Ive just been side tracked by the net I am making.

Have a great weekend guys, its suppose to be in the upper 40's here so I might have to wade around after a few browns or steelhead.

Dorf:

In Mi try LL Johnson Lumber in Charlott MI

Finally spent some time on the boat today. Laid out all my level floors, pedestal seat storage and pedestal seat laminations. Tomorrow Ill be busting out the jigsaw and making dust! Hopefully I can make some progress this weekend, work is really picking up and Im losing boat time!

Everyone have a safe weekend!

I was finally able to put in some good time on the boat!

Level floors coming right up along with pedestal seat!

This process was alot of fun! Alot of trimming and fitting and retrimming and refitting but very rewarding to get in place in the boat!!

Oh yeah, and here is a few pictures of my boat net. Every wooden boat needs a wooden net right?

Gluing up the handle!

Steam bending the walnut and mahogany!

Laminating the hoop!

9 coats of Danish Oil!

Tiger Maple sure is pretty. I have some quilted maple for making some more nets at a later date. I am still waiting for the arrival of my net bags. I ordered 6 bags, two extra large for boat nets and 4 mediums for streamside wading nets. They are all Brodin Ghost Bags! Good Day!

Nice work Josh,thanks for sharing.

Josh, you do wonderful work. I can see one of my next projects. I also like your steamer! Did you add some kind of a fitting to the top of the kettle? More details please. I am looking forward to seeing your boat in a few days when it's done!

Rick Newman

Yes, when I took the photo I didnt have the piece that goes from the kettle to the steamer. This was made on the fly with various plumbing parts. I didnt glue them together because this is a temporary home for the box. I would suggest you use another system from the kettle to the steamer though. Somthing that can handle more heat! This system will fail if you try to steam larger parts that require a longer cook time. When I make another it will be a wooden box with racks and some high temp hose that goes from the kettle to the box. This would be a better way to go. There are a ton of videos about steaming on youtube. The rule of thumb for cook time is 1 hour for every inch of thickness. So the small laminations for my net didnt need to cook long at all, they were only 1/8 inch strips! My gunnels however, will need to cook much longer!

Josh, do you ever visit WoodenBoat Forum? Tons more info there too.

Rick

Wow! Nice work! Don't you know that AAA grade maple should be saved for guitar necks :)

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service