Well, I decided to start building a boat around two months ago. I entertained this idea a few years back but never pursued the idea. I started fly fishing and saw the need for a boat. I could have bought a used boat for around the same overall cost, after you include a trailer. But what fun is that? No beauty in a boat like that.

I decided on the Freestone Guide. I have already modified my side panels adding a recurve. I couldnt get exact dimensions on this so I had to wing it. Who knows how she will shape up. I can always take more out if I dont like it.

Here is a photo of the work area, my dads shop. We will have to tear down a wall to get the boat out! His idea, I only obliged to it being a good one!

Views: 5950

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Josh, I was wondering what happened to you. Oh well there is always "spring" salmon. The fish are starting to enter Puget Sound. The semi-annual Pink Salmon run is supposed to bring 6,600,000 into the Sound. More than that into the Fraser River in British Columbia. I plan to get in front of a few of these and see what happens.

Sure wish I had a nice net like you make. Apparently the home building business is booming. Keep up the good work.

Rick N

Thanks Rick, I envy the 6,600,000..........that's a remarkable number!! This winter I should have time to crank out the boat and some more nets. I will make you a great offer on one if you want.

Beautiful work on the nets!

Thanks!

Josh, that's a great offer, however now that you have shown me how nice a net can be built you've set out a new challenge for me! We'll see how time and money come together. I am presuming that Jann's Netcraft supplied the netting. It looks like an oil finish on the wood. Very symettrical and well done!

I need 6.6 million fish to have a better chance of catching one or two. I am wonderful at fishing for salmon and steelhead when none are around making it difficult to catch any!

Rick N

Yes Rick, you can surely make a fine net yourself. Mine have 9-10 coats of Danish Oil on them and the net is from Brodin Nets. It is a Brodin Ghost Bag. Very soft and pliable and virtually invisible to the fish so hopefully you wont spook them when you go in for the scoop! Im yet to use one of my own nets to land a fish! Everyone I make I end up selling. I haven't any time to fish anyhow!

Hi Josh . . .

Nice net!  I just searched through Brodin's online catalog (nicely done) in search of a larger steelhead/salmon bag to make a net with but didn't see anything of that size range.  Do you know of any other sources for quality bags?  My googling did not produce many choices.

Thanks,

Tom

After a lengthy time away from the site I am happy to be back. Far to busy to dedicate time to the boat like I had anticipated in the beginning. I have made some progress and unfortunately, several photos were taken with my phone and Im not sure if I can upload those photos or not! I hope everyone who was following my postings is doing well and I look forward to chatting with you in the near future!

Josh, welcome back. I hope it was a profitable time away. Looking forward to your progress.

Rick N

I would be posting some pictures Rick but the site isnt letting me browse my pictures? Maybe it will allow me to tomorrow?

It was a busy year with work and we sold a home in town and finally purchased some property out here in Gods country! One of our long term goals was achieved!

I was hoping to make serious progress on the boat this winter but with work and the kids demanding daddy time I havent been able to focus my attention on it. All is well though and some poking around in the shop is in the near future!

Dry Storage

Oh well, I was gonna post some more pictures but something is acting up.

I hope everyones project is moving along nicely. Just when I thought I would have time to work on the boat, I find myself heading out to Montana for thirty days of work........

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service