This message was originally intended for Dave Z as I know he’s built the trapper, but since this is a forum, I figure I make the best of it and get the opinions of the masses to my benefit.

While I’ve fished all my life, I’ve only recently become interested in river fishing for salmon. I primarily fish the Trinity which flows about 450-2000 cfs when I fish it. Usually I fish from the bank, but the last couple years I’ve started using a 10’ raft. The raft works fine, but I tend to want to bring more gear or maybe my dad now and then. I’ve planned on building an aluminum drift boat for the last couple years, but recently found a used 16’ wood drift boat that I am now renovating for use on the Sacramento river which is much larger than the Trinity.

I bought Fletchers book and I love it. I think I may be hooked for a while on wood boat building. Of particular interest to me is the Trapper. It appears fairly small, lightweight and especially manageable for one person although I like the idea of being able to carry a passenger. As I know you have built the Trapper, I’d like your honest opinion.

I need a boat I can handle by myself, with the possibility of loading/unloading from a truck. The boat needs especially shallow draft as the Trinity can be real skinny at times. It also has to be able to handle moderate whitewater…I’m thinking class 2 or 3 (I’m no drifter, so don’t really know my classes). It needs to be pretty tough as well as I’m certain to bang off a rock or two. I don’t carry a lot of gear ( 3 fishing poles, tackle and a bananna), but I like the idea of possibly overnight trips with limited camping gear (and a big ice chest for salmon if I choose to kill one) I also would like to be able to carry one passenger. I’d settle for my bigger boat, but I’m kind of a minimalist plus I really just want to build a boat. So what do you think. Is the Trapper something I might like?

Additionally, I have some changes I might like to make to the plan. I’m considering a 3/8 bottom with a ¼” shoe. I know you like wood shoes and they tend to make economic sense to me. An option would be no shoe and just straight ½ ply knowing full well I might have to replace it in a couple years? The sides would be ¼. I’m also thinking of oiling the entire boat in and out as well for 2 reasons, economy and weight. I would also like to make both seats adjustable fore and aft to compensate for a guest or lack thereof. The floor boards would be made of the lightest and cheapest material possible…not sure what just yet. Lastly, I’m thinking of doing my first build with construction grade materials aside from the chine log. The plywood would be Monterey pine, the ribs #2 KD S4S DF (has small knots, 1/3 the price of clear), the chine cap and shear rails will be whatever clear material I can scarf togethar. Chine log of white oak. This pine plywood is perfectly clear on one face and has few if any voids. It is lighter than ACX DF which has many more plugs and voids. I have some clear 1x4 cedar on hand I could use for frames or?

What do you think? Are there any modifications you might like to do to the trapper? What are your opinions on my materials choice? Would cutting down the height of the square end save any weight? At what expense? How else might I cut weight?

Keep in mind, this will be my first build. It doesn’t have to last a lifetime, only this season. The next one (better one) can be my winter project.

I am sooo looking forward to this project.

This is a great forum! Thank you all for all your ideas.

Troy

Views: 953

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Perhaps I should paint my Trapper yellow? Maybe it would slide over the rocks a little easier?
Troy
Only if it has a green stripe and a black cat painted on the bow!

Rick Newman

Bump: I know this is a very old post but was wondering if this boat ever got built and are there any pic's of it. thanks

JW

John

Yes it got built and is currently in use as I gave it to my son and daughter in law to fish from. I think if you look in pictures you will find it. I didn’t paint it yellow.

Troy Nicolls

next.jpg

thanks Troy, I now remember reading this. nice job.

JW

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service