Hello all:

I am not a wooden boat person but I have researched them with regard to ship's boats.  My specific question has to do with Titanic's 30ft. main lifeboats.  An aspect of their construction I am unable to identify is illustrated in the photo below.  There were two structures at right angles to each other.  They were also located on opposite sides at either end of the boats.  The boat in the photo had these objects located on the port aft side (shown) and the forward starboard side.  The two questions I have are:

1. What was the name of these objects?

2. What was their function?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Bob Read

Views: 283

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Bob, I have no clue as to what those features are for. Have you tried the site WoodenBoatForum.com the folks there are more in touch with boats of this style of construction and have members worldwide. We are more about wooden drift boats, while close not the same. Any features like those shown in your pictures would either be for fly fishing poles or holding a cold beer, which I doubt was intended by the Titanic's lifeboat designers. Good luck in your quest.

Rick Newman

Hi Rick:

Thanks for the reply.  I have just signed up at WoodenBoatForum.com this morning and I will post my question there.

Regards,

Bob Read

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service