I just found this Forum the past week and was pleased to see all the interesting discussions. I have previously (2006) built and launched a 16 ft. Peterborough Stripper from Tom Moore's original Canoecraft. The Bear Mountain Boats Forum was a wealth of information, as I had not built anything from wood that was expected to float, in water. The stripper was a lot of fun to build.

About a year later I discovered/purchased Roger Fletcher's book and decided to make a go of it and build a drift boat. Last April I laid out all the framing on poster board full scale. I am a retired Mfg. Engineer with 41 yrs in the Machine tool and Automotive Industry with lots of hrs. Hanging over a drafting table. After making the decision to build I spent many hours deciding materials, features etc.

I have 210 BF of White Ash from a couple of trees infected with the Emerald Ash Bore (big issue in Mid-Mich). So the framing is Ash (3/4" x 3.00"). I finished the last one in December. I just need to coat them with epoxy (been waiting for 60 degree temps). The frames are constructed using Half-lap joints. I discussed this in 2011 with Jim Watson of Gougeon Brothers and he offered their services in testing the joint strength (they have a MTS Tensile Test Machine w/ 100K Load Cell). I just received the results and test pieces a couple of weeks ago and will post them soon in this discussion. (I need to figure out how to post pictures here.)

The Stem blank is solid Ash. I just finished the transom a couple of weeks ago. It was made from African mahogany. The sides are going to be 1/4 x 7/8" WRC w/bead & cove. I have a couple of planks left over from the canoe. The sides will be encapsulated in 6 oz. glass and West System 105-207 Epoxy prior to being fastened to the frame. The bottom of the boat will be "cold molded" ash at 1/4 x 2 1/4" in two layers one oriented Fore Aft and the other 90 degrees to the first. Planning to add graphite to epoxy on the bottom.

Next work is to build a strong back and begin assembling the framing. Am looking foreword to your comments and assistance.

Thanks for being here.

phil w. (Dorf)



Views: 33612

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Merry Christmas to everyone too. Hey Dorf, once that repair is done, looks like the trailer needs some touch up too :)

Well I think it's time to fess up.  My repair to the hole in the side of the drift boat has been complete now for a few months.  It didn't turn out as I'd like.  The color of the cedar strips I used looked ok when I selected them but I think I goofed up reversing the inside for the outside when I fit it into the hole.   The color on the inside is almost a perfect match....

I was reluctant to post pictures of the final result.  Finally when I took my son out this past weekend fishing he convinced me it's OK.  "It gives it character"  he said and let's people know this boat is made to be used not for show.  Here's a lousy picture of the final "patch job".

The patch is amde up of 5 1/2 cedar strips bead and cove glued together with Titebond II.  I tried to steam it and bend it in an arc to matchthe hull but it stayed pretty much flat.  After fitting it in the hole I used epoxy on the four edges and added two layers of 6 oz. cloth on the outside and one in the inside.  It needs a couple more coats of varnish, but will have to wait until later this fall.  It's plenty strong enough, just looks like Heck.  Anyhow she still rows nice and is fun to fish out of.

Happy trails,


PS:  Mike Thomas, Not to worry, I sanded and touched up the paint on the trailer when it was in the garage.  It looks real nice too.

Dorf I kinda like it.  If anyone asks just tell them you embraced the hit and decide to showcase it.  Its kind of like the Jeeps around North Georgia with dented fenders and plenty of rock rash.  When they're next to a shiny clean Jeep you really know which one is used like it should be.


© 2019   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service