I just found this Forum the past week and was pleased to see all the interesting discussions. I have previously (2006) built and launched a 16 ft. Peterborough Stripper from Tom Moore's original Canoecraft. The Bear Mountain Boats Forum was a wealth of information, as I had not built anything from wood that was expected to float, in water. The stripper was a lot of fun to build.

About a year later I discovered/purchased Roger Fletcher's book and decided to make a go of it and build a drift boat. Last April I laid out all the framing on poster board full scale. I am a retired Mfg. Engineer with 41 yrs in the Machine tool and Automotive Industry with lots of hrs. Hanging over a drafting table. After making the decision to build I spent many hours deciding materials, features etc.

I have 210 BF of White Ash from a couple of trees infected with the Emerald Ash Bore (big issue in Mid-Mich). So the framing is Ash (3/4" x 3.00"). I finished the last one in December. I just need to coat them with epoxy (been waiting for 60 degree temps). The frames are constructed using Half-lap joints. I discussed this in 2011 with Jim Watson of Gougeon Brothers and he offered their services in testing the joint strength (they have a MTS Tensile Test Machine w/ 100K Load Cell). I just received the results and test pieces a couple of weeks ago and will post them soon in this discussion. (I need to figure out how to post pictures here.)

The Stem blank is solid Ash. I just finished the transom a couple of weeks ago. It was made from African mahogany. The sides are going to be 1/4 x 7/8" WRC w/bead & cove. I have a couple of planks left over from the canoe. The sides will be encapsulated in 6 oz. glass and West System 105-207 Epoxy prior to being fastened to the frame. The bottom of the boat will be "cold molded" ash at 1/4 x 2 1/4" in two layers one oriented Fore Aft and the other 90 degrees to the first. Planning to add graphite to epoxy on the bottom.

Next work is to build a strong back and begin assembling the framing. Am looking foreword to your comments and assistance.

Thanks for being here.

phil w. (Dorf)

Views: 36077

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tungsten,

if you look close, the framing is wrapped in plastic so the glue won't stick to the wood.  After the side is complete I'll sand it fair on the outside and glass it.  I'll have to remove the staples in the frames at the sheer leaving them on the stem and transom to hold it into position. 

After it's glassed on the outside I'll remove it from the framing and clean-up the inside.  I can get most of the glue drips with a sharp chisel, a scraper then sand it fair prior to glassing the inside.  Then do the other side the same way. 

After both are complete I think I'll make sure the fit/location is accurate and then use West's Six-10 epoxy to secure it to the framing.  I'll need help there placing it into position without messing up the epoxy and making a mess.  I think I'd rather mess with epoxy than 5200 if I have to make a significant repair down the road.

Thanks for asking and following this build,

Dorf

after you glass the outside,do you expect any spring back of the shape when you remove the sides?Or does the glue and the glass stop this from happening?

Tungsten,

Good question.  It will pretty much hold it's shape after I remove it from the Framing.  If I were to let it set around very long (month or so) I'd have problems if the moisture  content changes too much.  If I glass the inside with in a week or so I should be OK.  The side panel, after glassing both sides will not be too stiff but have some flexibility.  I'd hope it will "flatten" somewhat after I take it off the mold then as I clamp it back on the frame it should "bend" around the frame and make for good contact for the epoxy.

I'am betting on this happening based upon the experience in making my 16 ft. stripper.

Hopefully I'll be able to get to this point in a couple of weeks.  I'am heading for Northern Ontario's Wilderness Country next week for some serious fishing. so next week will be spent getting ready to go with a little work on adding more strips.  Won't have to scarf anymore as they are plenty long enough which speeds thing up.

More to come, thanks for watching!

Dorf.

Managed to add a few more srips this week.  Have 14 above the accent strip.    The picture shows 12.  I aLso added three tapered strips from the stem to the first frame and a little beyond.

They are all held in place with the rubber bands (two linked together) and clamped to the framing to maintain the correct shape.  The Titebond II is appled to the cove side of the strip being added.  The strip is then placed onto the last strip and the bands placed.  The pic below shows the glue as it is squeezed from the strip.

The glue is cleaned up with a wet sponge inside and out where it's accessible.  As the side panel is sanded fair prior to glassing the remaiing glue residue will be removed.  A sharp scraper will remove most of the big globs or a sharp chisel.  A spokeshave and long board with 80 grit paper are the primary tools for fairing the side panel. 

Won't be too long now before the first side will be glassed and complete.

Keep watching!

Dorf

I,AM WATCHING AND LOVING WHAT I SEE    Will you weight the hull parts before installing / would be kool to know there balanced. just a though   thanks for letting us see your build project. Lee

Managed to find a couple of days to return working on the boat.  I added several new strips to the Starboard Side.  Only 2-3 partial strips to complete this side.  Then it's sanding it fair prior to glassing it.   Will be fighting the weather if I am going to get both sides glassed before the cold weather is here to stay.  Here's a picture as it is now.

Running out of strips from the original complement of strips I cut last spring.  I had to purchase more Western Red Cedar. It took the better part of one day to cut the strips and bead and cove it. 

Looking forward to starting the second side soon.  The number one problem is finding time to work on the boat.  Fall fishing is picking up and Steelhead are not far away, darn too many choices. 

More to come,

Dorf

Finally!

Finished the layup yesterday and fairing of the first side of the boat today!  Was a good feeling to get the first side this far.  Problem is the weather took a turn and the temps took a dive this week.  I'll have to wait till I get warmer weather or talk my wife into glassing the side piece in the family room.  My plan was/is to glass the outside while the side is on the frame to minimize any excessive bending if it's done flat.  Might get trickey?

Anyhow,  I sanded the the outside fair while the piece was still on the frame.  I added a couple of strips to anchor the stem and transom strip ends then removed it from the molds.  I then laid it on a couple of saw horses and sanded the inside surface fair also.  I was surprised the side does maintain the shape and curves of the boat's frame, but will lay flat.  I added a couple of boards beneath it as I sanded it on the sawhorses.  Here's a couple of pics, the side on sawhorses inside surface being worked on.

The last partial strip and stem strip stiffener added, sanded fair and wiped with damp cloth to set-up for final sanding.

Here you can see the contrast between the sanded and as glued surface.  Was a lot more glue residue on the inside than I planned on.  It just added a couple of hours to the task.

A causality of the vibrating side piece on the sawhorses.  It landed on the cement floor and ended up in multiple pieces, damn!  Just had sharpened it and was working good and elimiinating a lot of sanding.

I am hoping to glass the side piece in the next week to avoid any significant humidity changes in the Cedar.

I have all the strips ready to go for the other side and hope it'll go much quicker.  Still the issue of Fall Fishing just getting better.

More to come.

Dorf

Got some decent weather today and managed to glass the outside of the Starboard Stripped Side.  Added 6 Oz. cloth and three coats of epoxy.  Hoping to pull it and glass the other side in the next week and begin stripping the other side.  I covered the framing with plastic to keep the epoxy from getting on the framing.  Here's a couple of Pics:

I have planned on using epoxy (West Six-10) to secure the side panels to the framing, but now am having second thoughts about it.  My concern is with the sides being "fixed" to the framing, will create stress risers at those locations and may cause failure at or near the frame members. 

So other than 5200 what other choices is there which will allow some flexing with out the added stress.  I am sure there are other choices which are more friendly for future repairs.  I've never used 5200 but have not heard too many positive things other than it sticks to wood really good.

What do you folks think is a decent alternative?

Moving along now.

Dorf

Well I've made some progress since the last update.  We have the Starboard side glassed on both sides and the strips on the Port side are almost complete.  Here's a few pictures of where I'm at as of today.

The Starboard side with the inside glassed.

The Starboard side is clamped in position on the frame and the epoxy on the outside sanded fair.  Ready for the final coat after it is permanently mounted to the frame.  Will remove it and sand the inside fair prior to mounting it to the frame.  After doing some investigation I have decided to use West's Six-10 to secure it to the framing and Chine Log.

Here's where I'm at today.  The strips are almost complete, only a half dozen to go.  Should be in a position to begin sanding it in the next few days. 

When the strips are complete and sanded fair I'll glass both sides, same as the first then start on making the strips for the bottom.  They'll be 1/4" x 2 1/4" at various lengths.  I haven't yet decided which direction they'll be oriented.  More than likely  they run Fore & Aft and side to side.  There's still a lot of work to do prior to the fabrication of the bottom. 

I haven't even started to think about how the inside is going to look yet.  I guess that'll give me something to do evenings & weekends.

More to come.

Dorf

Phil, sure is looking good. Quite a project you've undertaken. Did you get some more fishing in?

Rick Newman

Starting to get excited as the boat is starting to come together.  No fishing in the last couple of weeks, weather here has been terrible, lots of wind and no fish showing up!  Trying to set up a Steelhead trip for next week on West side of the state, I hear there starting to show up now we've had some rain and colder temps...... gotta keep trying, eh.

phil w.

I also want to go to the west side of Washington State or down to the Grande Ronde in the southeast corner. With recent rains the fish should be moving. If not I'll try to fish for Searun Coastal Cutthroat instead. Smaller but more common, or so I've heard. Only tried for them once.

My boat is coming along, I worked on the filler and fairing prior to the next to final fairing and sanding. The color selection is down to five choices from 35. The temperatures should be up on Monday and Tuesday so I can wet sand outside. No new pictures yet.

Rick Newman

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service