I just found this Forum the past week and was pleased to see all the interesting discussions. I have previously (2006) built and launched a 16 ft. Peterborough Stripper from Tom Moore's original Canoecraft. The Bear Mountain Boats Forum was a wealth of information, as I had not built anything from wood that was expected to float, in water. The stripper was a lot of fun to build.

About a year later I discovered/purchased Roger Fletcher's book and decided to make a go of it and build a drift boat. Last April I laid out all the framing on poster board full scale. I am a retired Mfg. Engineer with 41 yrs in the Machine tool and Automotive Industry with lots of hrs. Hanging over a drafting table. After making the decision to build I spent many hours deciding materials, features etc.

I have 210 BF of White Ash from a couple of trees infected with the Emerald Ash Bore (big issue in Mid-Mich). So the framing is Ash (3/4" x 3.00"). I finished the last one in December. I just need to coat them with epoxy (been waiting for 60 degree temps). The frames are constructed using Half-lap joints. I discussed this in 2011 with Jim Watson of Gougeon Brothers and he offered their services in testing the joint strength (they have a MTS Tensile Test Machine w/ 100K Load Cell). I just received the results and test pieces a couple of weeks ago and will post them soon in this discussion. (I need to figure out how to post pictures here.)

The Stem blank is solid Ash. I just finished the transom a couple of weeks ago. It was made from African mahogany. The sides are going to be 1/4 x 7/8" WRC w/bead & cove. I have a couple of planks left over from the canoe. The sides will be encapsulated in 6 oz. glass and West System 105-207 Epoxy prior to being fastened to the frame. The bottom of the boat will be "cold molded" ash at 1/4 x 2 1/4" in two layers one oriented Fore Aft and the other 90 degrees to the first. Planning to add graphite to epoxy on the bottom.

Next work is to build a strong back and begin assembling the framing. Am looking foreword to your comments and assistance.

Thanks for being here.

phil w. (Dorf)

Views: 36079

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hit a significant milestone tonight, finished the Port side stripping and have it sanded fair on the outside.  Weather is going to cooperate, so I'll be able to Glass the Outside of it this weekend.  It's been a long while coming!  Here's a Pic of where I am at now.  The Starboard Side just needs to be prepared for epoxying to the frame.  It's clamped in position on the frame to reduce movement (flexing of the glass/epoxy).  It's just a convenient way to keep it out of the way and not create any unnecessary problems.

If the weather holds for a few days I might get one side mounted and with a little good fortune (weather wise) get the Port side glassed both sides. 

More to come,

Dorf

lookin real good there Dorf,what are doing for a floor?

Tungsten,

Thanks, I'll make the floor in two 1/4" thick layers of Ash.  The planks will be 1/4" x 2 1 /4" wide and they'll be edge glued and run 90 degrees to one another.  I saw a drift boat last spring made this way from WRC and discussed the issues with the builder.  Like the sides the bottom will be formed on the boat frame, removed, glassed and fastened permanently to the frame.  I plan on using 10 Oz. Glass on the bottom, with graphite in the last two coats of epoxy and  6 Oz. Glass on the inside.  That will add some unwanted weight but we'll see how it works out.  There are other woods I could use that are lighter, but.......

We'll see.

Dorf

It was a productive week.  Here's the latest update:  Managed to finish the Port Side Panel and glassed it on the second side (inside).  In a few days it'll be ready to epoxy it to the frame.  Here's a picture of the finished panel.  All that is left to complete it is to wet sand it on both sides prior to mounting.

Managed today to epoxy the Starboard Side Panel to the Frame.  Used West's Six-10 Thickened Epoxy to coat the frame and secured it with a bunch of clamps.  The Six-10 in a caulk gun is the easiest way to apply thickened or any epoxy for this type of assembly.  Literally no waste or mess.  Set up the clamped the panel in it's desired position and then removed the aft half of the clamps, cleaned the surfaces with Acetone and then applied a bead of Six-10.  Just started in middle and clamped at each frame and worked to the Transom.  Added tapered sticks to add additional pressure between the clamps as the clamp boards were not stiff enough.  For the second panel assembly I'll turn them on edge and add a little rocker to the clamp boards.  That should eliminate the tapered sticks.  After the aft half was clamped in position I did the same to the forward half.  It'll set-up over night and then I can trim the edges and ends. 

Only issue here in MIchigan is the temps are in the 50's daytinme and 30's at night, therefore I have to burn lots of fuel to keep the garage at 60 degrees.  Here's a couple of pics.

Still more to come,  (Fall fishing is HOT right now, Steelhead, Walleye, Perch!!!!!)  Not enough time for everything, eh.

Dorf

Wow, more good work. I guess a guy just has to have priorities, fishing while it's good or building a beautiful boat! What rivers do you fish? I hear that Great Lakes steelheading can be productive, some day I'll have to try. Keep those pictures coming.

Rick Newman

Rick,

Thanks for the comments.  It's been pretty quiet for a while but I'm  getting in the groove, both on the boat and in the water. 

Right now the Manistee River on Michigan's West Coast, Lake Michigan is one of MIchigan's better river for Steelies.  it's Hot right now, but it's better fished from a boat.   There are a few places you can wade it but it's being overloaded with newbees.  After Colder weather come it clears out most of the non-diehards.   I have fished it for years and have lots of good experiences fighting Steelhead in this river.  Bear Creek a smaller tributary of the Manistee is good for wading.  It's great too if you hit it at the right time.

There are several great steelhead rivers here in Michigan,  The Little Manistee, Pere Marquette, Betsie, and one of our most famous Blue Ribbon Trout Streams, The AuSable (the pic in my aviatar, Hex Hatch).  The lower section of the AuSable is a good wade or fished from a boat.  It's Gin Clear most of the time and is a tough fish but they can be had.  Lot's of deadheads and trees make landing them in this river a challange.  It just keeps you coming back for more.  Here's a pic from 2010 on the Manistee, below Tippy Dam (1610 FPS, 15 yr. Mean).

Happy Thanksgiving to All!   & Tight Lines!

Dorf.

Dorf, Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family. No fishing for me yet but I did get further on my honey-do's. See the photos I have sent you today. Weather is wet and rainy with high winds. I'm about 250 miles as the crow flies to the NaCl but I have to assume that they are getting pounded with rain and wind. Should help bring in the steelhead, Maybe it will be good for next week!

Rick

This past week I finally managed to permanently assemble the two sides with West's Six-10 Epoxy, added glass to the transom and outer stem.  This completes for now the outer part of the boat except the bottom.  One the bottom is in place I need to sand fair the outer surfaces and then either add an additional coat of epoxy or varnish.  Either way the boat is starting to take shape.  Need to modify the strongback to lower the boat on it.  It's too high to work on now without standing on something like a 5 gallon pail.  I am not graceful enough to want to take the risk.

Here's a few pics of the work to date. 

There's a good share of work yet to build the bottom.  The wood is still out back in 4/4 planks and needs to be sawn, resawn and planed to size.  That will start Monday.  Still trying to figure out the best/easiest way to accomplish that....

More to come,

Dorf

This thing looks great!  I had no idea that the strips were only temporarily installed in effort to make a "panel."  Can't wait to see it upright.  Good luck fishing. 

Same deal here- work on the new boat in the rain and lousy days, yesterday it was 65 in PA, we did a nice float.   We're in for more 60 degree stuff this week... if only the daylight lasted longer.

Dave,

Thanks for the kind words, there's still a lot of work to do.  I am thinking if taking a few/weeks off and concentrating on steelhead.  As you are enjoying the warmer weather I am holding out for sub- zero weather.  Ice Season is just weeks away and I just built a new Ice Rod for the big boys; Lakers.  We have a few of them here Michigan's waters and they are a hoot through the ice.  Also, I have reservations in Ontario, Canada for our annual Ice Fishing Trip in early Jan. it's only a month away.

Enjoy,

Dorf

Oh MI,  nice.  I spent alot of time in the north country.  You boys sure love your ice fishin!  I actually would prefer winter to stay here for deer hunting, grouse hunting, etc... but Ill take a 60 degree day to get on the river too!

good luck!

Just a quick update, no pics.  Last two weeks I ripped just over 100 BF of ash, ripped it, resawed it , planed it and added bead and cove edges.  Ended up with 80 or so 1/4 x 2 1/2 x 10 ft. long pieces to fabricate the floor with.  After the holidays i plan on starting to build the floor on the frame similar to the sides, as a separate piece glassed bottom and top.  I have six 33 gallon trash cans of wood chips left over, anyone need dog/horse bedding?

The boats bottom framing is covered with 1/4 inch tempered hardboard (two sheets butt joined and trimmed with about 1 inch overhang all around the perimeter).  It's covered with 4 mil plastic to protect the framing and sides from the layup glue for the floor strips.  It will be two layers of the strips creating a 1/2 floor.

I have developed a scarfing jig to scarf the strips to the necessary length, maximum of 13+ feet along the keel line. also a gluing jig to maintain alighnent and straightness of the strips and a few special clamps to hold the strips in position as the glue sets-up. 

All this is ready and I had time to do some Steelhead fishing too.  We've had some unseasonally warm weather (high 30's and low 40's) and it was great to get out on the river.  While fishing with a buddy on the Lower AuSable a Bald Eagle was soaring overhead, obviously looking for his next meal.

Happy Holidays to all and let's hope for a great 2013.

Dorf

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service