Hi everyone, I'm just getting started.  I've gathered all the tools, read Fletcher's book about 6 times (so great), and read quite a lot of these posts (also great).  I've decided to build a 17x54.  Went to the lumber dealer in town, and decided i'm definitely going to use the Hydrotek BS 1088 6mm for sides, and 12mm for floor.  I'm going to use Mahogany for the Stem.  I'm planning to use Port Orford Cedar for the frames, and was thinking i'd match that with White Oak for the rails/chines.  I hope to have the boat for the rest of my life, and while i want it to be the most beautiful boat ever built, I truly want to use materials that will last and be effective.  So, first question... Instead of White Oak, anyone ever use Port Orford for rails?  It seems like the color would be similar to White Oak, but i wonder about durability as a rail.  appreciate any insight you might have.

Views: 4678

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just realized my first post on here was December 2017.  Clearly i have kids, wife, job, and other hobbies... too much going on to actually build a boat.  But man, I love it when i get in there and make progress. 

I'm going to use 20 oz triax for the bottom, and again, fiberglassing is new to me. Should I pre-fill the counter sunk screw heads before I start the fiberglassing? if so, with what?

Dusty,

How deep of a cavity is there to fill?  If just a shallow pocket use a really thickened epoxy (like peanut butter).  I'd use wood sanding dust to thicken the epoxy.  After they are filled just sand the patches fair and then add your glass.

If you went hole hog with the counter bores add a wooden bung in the holes, sand them flush and then glass the bottom.

After the glass is added it wont matter what you used as long as the bottom is flat and fair.

G'Luck,

phil w.

thanks Phil, i'll just thicken the epoxy w/ dust and go that route.  its just the slightest amount for the screws that drove a smidge deep.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service