Hello Everyone,

My name is Guy and this is my first post in this forum.  I am here because I want to build a wooden drift boat and, undoubtedly, I will occasionally need advice of the pool of experts and experienced drift boat builders on this forum.

In preparation for this project I have read and studied three books: Drift Boats and River Dories by R. L. Fletcher, Boatbuilding with Plywood by G. L. Witt, and Covering Wooden Boats with Fiberglass by A. H. Vaitses.  I have also developed my own set of construction plans based off of the "Original McKenzie Double-Ender with Transom" in Fletcher's book.  I used and MS Excel spreadsheet to calculate all of the dimensions, cut angles, compound angles, and bevel angles of all frame components and I used Pilot3D software to calculate the as-cut dimensions of the plywood sides and bottom.  At this point I am pretty comfortable with the mechanics of construction and I think that I am just about ready to start purchasing lumber.

Presently, I plan to use Meranti Hydro-Tek plywood; 1/4-in. on the sides and 1/2-in. on the bottom.  I found plenty of places to purchase these materials, but they are all far away from Idaho Falls, Idaho, and as a result shipping costs more than the materials.  Are any of you aware of a business within a few hundred miles of Idaho Falls that sells this plywood?  I have a few requests in to the local lumber companies, but I have yet to talk with someone who has heard of this material before.

I also plan to use Port Orford Cedar (CVG) for the straight frame sections and White Oak (quater sawn) for the bent frame sections (chine logs and sheer rails).

Thank you, Guy

Views: 104825

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Rick. Yeah… the hours sure do add up. : )

Martinac. Working on installing the bottom stringers. 

Martinac. The bottom stringers are close to being finished. There are four more sections that go toward the bow. But these sections all have an axial twist. I’ll see how much twist there is. Steaming or soaking in hot water are options I hope I can avoid. 

Martinac. The six bottom stringers are fastened. The auxiliary chine supports are cut and need some more fitting. And I’m starting to work on the beds for the side-to-side frames. Slow going. 

Martinac. My first attempt at making a pattern for a side to side bottom frame. 

Martinac. I transferred the marks to a new board, cut the profile on a band saw and jig saw, did some finish sanding, and it fit pretty tight. The front-to-back bottom stringers are all white oak. The side-to-side bottom frame is 1.5-inches thick African mahogany. The widest point is about 6.5 inches. 

Martinac. This first frame is at the bulkhead. Forward of the bulkhead is the cabin area and I’ll need to keep the floor as low as possible in order to provide the most headroom, which will only be about 5.5 feet. Aft of the bulkhead the floor is much higher because you need to stand and see through the windshield to pilot the boat. I haven’t got all that worked out yet. : ) I’m trying not to do anything now that will cause problems later. 

Martinac. It seems to be working, so I’m repeating the process. 

Martinac. Toward the bow. This will become a three piece frame. There is more curvature toward the bow and the span is deeper. 

Good work,

you are boat builder just waiting for this opportunity to shine!

Rick

Thanks Rick. Sometimes I feel more like a ship-breaker. 

Martinac. More frame work. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service