I have made several sets of oars using fir. Usually they are heavier than I would like. Once I used basswood which is marginally lighter. Has anyone tried cedar? Usually I split a 2x4 and laminate strips of cherry and maple for a nice colorful blade. The leathers would protect cedar from the oarlocks. Any ideas?
Here's a great tutorial, but it baffles me the author used yellow polypro. haha
Inner/outer turks head for bulk makes sense, thanks.
Mine just got a water-based wood stain to match my boat. The pigment seemed to saturate the nylon well. I put a thin bead of epoxy under the start/end of the wraps, the wraps are 18" long and the center 16" just "floats" with no epoxy coating over or under it.
This thread has wonderful information. I add information to personal library as I find it. Now, I have some designs for longer oars.
If Brad gets around to another oar shaping class, I am ready with a set of constant diameter drift boat oars. Otherwise, I may just have to get creative by myself.
Thanks for the wonderful contributions, and this was not even my thread.
I made a set of spoon oars using sitka spruce and put some cherry on the blades. Got the plans from an old article in wooden boat.