My plans from Spira call for a 2x6 board to be used.  After reading Fletcher's book (and the many comments on the subject from this website) I've decided to construct a stem in the 'traditional' manner and using a 4x4 cut down, beveled and notched.

I'm considering laminating pieces of 3/4" clear pine together with epoxy, but would I be better off considering other types of wood?   I'm more concerned with choosing the RIGHT wood for the application than choosing something for it's beauty.

Thanks

Mike

Views: 972

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How did this discussion go from stem material to idol worship?

You people weren't supposed to notice that 'thing' next to the mahogany.   Besides,  it's not mine.  I'm just holding it for a friend.

Any ways..   I'll need to go home tonight and figure out what my stem bevels are going to be so I hopefully don't turn a very nice piece of wood into fuel for my fire.... and anger a god in the process.

That's what everybody says on "Cops"! We caught you, possession is 9/10's of the law! By the way do you have any sharp hooks in your pockets, anything that will stab me or hurt me. Hands flat on the tailgate!

Michael, if you hadn't been raised by squirrels these things would not be happening to you. I'll bet you didn't live in a mahogany tree did you!

Rick

P.S. were any worms injured in the making of your boat? Just put the worms down, they never did anything to you!

This is harassment.  I'm calling my lawyer.    Get your hands off my rod, pig.  You can go to jail for that in some states..

Rick,

you know someone sometime is going to be genuinely interested in what people in this forum have to say on the subject of stem material and they're gonna click on this thread and expect to learn something.   What a sad, sad day that will be.    But very funny.

Hey, you!  If you're here looking for information, we're really sorry.  Do us a favor.   Lie and tell us how useful this thread was to you and how you couldn't have built your boat without it.  :)

At the very least you've learned some very important advice on fishing religeon and superstition. 

Mahog wants to see offerings. Where are the sawdust and shavings?

Mahog

Mahog, I present you with an offering. These shavings are offered here at the great rowers seat for your blessing. Rick Newman hopes you will bless him the next time he fishes in one of your streams.

All hail Mahog!

This is very valuable information for the stem on my next build. What was the name of that wood again?  ;9

Y'all aren't like the other kids.

Balsa

LOL

All hail Mahog!   My offering will be delivered forthwith!  But until such time, my good friend Rick has told me of that he would be honored to burn one of his own flyrods so that I may bask in your favor.   Thanks, buddy!

Dave,

I'm so happy you've found this thread to be informative.    No, we most decidedly are not 'like the other kids..'.        It's been a long winter and I may be going through fishing withdrawls.   As for Rick, who knows??   Personally, I think he may have buffed out one too many coats of varnish.  ;)

That's funny, we never called it varnish in the "Sixties"!

Rick

Here are some pics of the stem for any one who's interested.

At the end of the day, just as Rick predicted..  it was just me, my handplane, and a LOT of Mahogany shavings!

Thanks for all your input, guys!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service