I love my big 17' Jerry Briggs-inspired Grand Canyon dory from Andy Hutchinson's plans, but she's way too big for day runs.  Time to build a little boat.

10'-6" LOA

60" beam

36" floor width

~23" deep at the oarlocks

I made three paper mockups, and two smaller 1:12 tagboard mockups.  One final 1:6 cardboard mockup before committing to plywood:

Cut the plywood. One piece ripped diagonally lengthwise, the bow panels out of the width of another sheet.  Side panels 11'-10"

I was having a hard time getting straight scarfs with my saw jig, so I cleaned them up from here with a ROS and 60-grit. You want the ramps to all touch the previous sheet and the glue lines parallel. The top piece was really ugly and got re-cut entirely. This isn't fancy AA marine ply, just $30 AC ply from the box store. Not worried about knots; I'll be glassing the entire boat inside and out.

I like woodgrain.  Used a latex exterior stain.  Oil based stains can interfere with the epoxy joint.

Epoxy on the joint faces and clamped/screwed for the night.

Views: 2792

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Once again your years of experience with epoxy, fiberglass and wood is showing! I have said it before but will repeat it again, you are master of your craft! If it wasn't so much work you should eventually teach a class on the specialized techniques you have acquired. You have a talent for sharing your knowledge that is very appreciated and great for you to share!

Rick

Thanks Rick!

I still see things I could do better, but I absolutely have to admit that practice has paid off.  My first work was very messy, and now I sometimes go out to the shop for a quick glueup before work...in my office clothes!

I do want to share tips and tricks; I remember my early days and how messy and frustrating it  was, and hope to save others the same frustrations.

Well you do a good job! Perhaps we could host an event some place for a weekend to share knowledge on technology, tips and tricks to help less experienced folks. Perhaps a video or two could come out of this. Plus we need some videos of this boat spending time on the river! We don't have to be the only ones with info to share, plus maybe would could do a float on a nearby river and share knowledge on rowing and reading water.

Rick

Let's do a Montana or Idaho Wooden Boat Float!

You got it! Let's talk about it via phone soon. With Covid going on it might be best to do a 2022 event. I helped put on the McKenzie River Wooden Boat Festival several times and even did a one whitewater rafting event at Spokane Community College years, decades ago! We need to recruit others, perhaps your brother and his old/current boss whose name I cannot remember right now.

Rick

58: Masked the accent stripe and glassed all the deck to hull fillet strips inside

Inside the transom:

Strip got a bit burned by the table saw...didn't bother to sand it...hope not to look at it again. haha

This is probably one of the more important fillet strips in the boat--right at the gunnel where I'll be sitting to get in and out of the boat.

Inside the bow:

This is roughly what it will look like:

Enough of looking at raw wood inside the boat.

59: sanded those rough edges below decks, added a fill coat of epoxy, flipped it back over and painted the accent stripes and lower gray band to hide the hazy bias tape on the chine.

Can’t freaking wait to peel the masking tape.

Peeled the masking tape this morning!

Sure is looking good!

Rick

I need to build and mount the oarlock stanchions, mount the hatch lids, cut the bowpost and give the gunnels and lower sides some varnish.

And paint her name. :)

That should only take you an hour or two! Will you be floating on Sunday?

Rick

Probably not...had hoped to launch in March, but work beckons (I'm at the office now)...but should be pretty darn close to launching next weekend.

Very good! My travels have been limited due to some health issues, hopefully we can converse again on the phone to discuss current and future plans. You are doing a fine job, It took me six months to do what you did in two weeks! Old age isn't fun, but it sure is fun watching you youngsters building, painting and soon boating!

Rick

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service