I'm building a 16' drift boat on the cheap...real cheap.  I've found a bunch of old 2x4's.  Can I use these for the frames or will that be way too heavy for the boat? Can I just screw those 2x4s together and call it good? I am willing to accept that this is a crazy idea. -Thanks for any advice!

Views: 4895

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It will be a drift would?

A drift wood drift boat.  Outstanding.

One of the wood workers in my shop gets all kinds of recycled wood.  Many nails and screws under old paint.  Before milling we run a small magnet over the surface to find the suckers.  Nothing worse then a nick in a planer blade or putting sparks in the dust collector system.

It also helps to have a cheap saw to rip through this stuff.  Yup lots of flying sparks and sand... even some seaweed.

Have you found any oak pallets yet? I have found many of them, but never determined if the were red or white oak. Might make a great stem and if need by could be laminated. I got a bunch of "Eucalyptus" for free from a countertop / granite store. Most of the pieces I got were a couple of meters long and if the wood is really one of the Eucalyptus species it might make good chines, chine logs or gunnels if milled down and scarfed.

I am excited to see pictures of your build. Maybe you could have a raffle for your boat after the float with the proceeds going to a favorite cause. Anyway good luck with the build and keep us informed.

Rick Newman

I'm loving the driftwood boat concept. 

I once rowed an original Woodie Hindman boat that was mostly rot, braced with a few hideous old 2x4's, and held together with paint and inertia. One of the nicest rowing boats I've ever been in. It made me realize how little strength is needed, and how much sweet lines and light construction are the real keys to a boat that runs like a water-skeeter.

So I'd say rip those driftwood frames down as thin as you dare. Keep this wacky boat as light as you can.

These frames are definitely a bit heavier than Woodie Hindman had in mind.  Ah well, just more fuel for the bonfire at the take out.
Those look REALLY COOL!

Sorry for the delay.  The water was just too good to get off of this year.  Here are the blog posts for the completed driftwood dory.  

http://kellyneu.blogspot.com/

Video and time lapse coming soon.  Cheers!

-Kelly

Inflatable man! I nearly fell out of my chair laughing! Only my own mother would do sometning so crazy. Nice job on the boat-on-the-cheap...and the entertaining blog!
Ha! I knew you wouldn't burn it!  Awesome!
Ah, you got me!  It was the deck that did it.  I could have burned the hull but that deck made it look so dog gone cute. Maybe the next boat will be able to be fully disassembled... too many boats so little time.

Kelly,

Magnificent realization of a fantastic idea. Really nice work. Just finished a vey weird boat myself--a replica of a Nevills San Juan punt. Odd little thing.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service