Hello Everyone,

My name is Guy and this is my first post in this forum.  I am here because I want to build a wooden drift boat and, undoubtedly, I will occasionally need advice of the pool of experts and experienced drift boat builders on this forum.

In preparation for this project I have read and studied three books: Drift Boats and River Dories by R. L. Fletcher, Boatbuilding with Plywood by G. L. Witt, and Covering Wooden Boats with Fiberglass by A. H. Vaitses.  I have also developed my own set of construction plans based off of the "Original McKenzie Double-Ender with Transom" in Fletcher's book.  I used and MS Excel spreadsheet to calculate all of the dimensions, cut angles, compound angles, and bevel angles of all frame components and I used Pilot3D software to calculate the as-cut dimensions of the plywood sides and bottom.  At this point I am pretty comfortable with the mechanics of construction and I think that I am just about ready to start purchasing lumber.

Presently, I plan to use Meranti Hydro-Tek plywood; 1/4-in. on the sides and 1/2-in. on the bottom.  I found plenty of places to purchase these materials, but they are all far away from Idaho Falls, Idaho, and as a result shipping costs more than the materials.  Are any of you aware of a business within a few hundred miles of Idaho Falls that sells this plywood?  I have a few requests in to the local lumber companies, but I have yet to talk with someone who has heard of this material before.

I also plan to use Port Orford Cedar (CVG) for the straight frame sections and White Oak (quater sawn) for the bent frame sections (chine logs and sheer rails).

Thank you, Guy

Views: 104848

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I installed the rub rails today.  I applied a thin layer of 3M 5200 onto the back of the rails and onto the wood screws.  I mounted the rails high on the chine caps (it's either high, middle, or low).  Because of the angle of the chine caps, this position places the rails out as far as possible, which made sense to me at the time.  I'll put the boat back on the trialer tomorrow and keep working.

Guy,

As I said here many times, You DB is looking Fine!  Can't wait to see it all come together with floors, seats, etc.  Soon I hope?

Dorf

Thanks Phil.

A little closer...

Oh my but that's looking sharp!

Any self respecting fish would love to be caught by an angler in that boat!!!

I almost looks too purty to use...

Thank you Vance.

River Ready!

I can't thank the good people on this site enough for their advice, knowledge, kindness, goodwill, and support. Thank you all so very much!

I will try to make it to Wilson, WY, on Saturday.

I continue to be amazed at the quality of boats being built by the folks on this forum!!!

Beautiful Work!

Thank you Vance.  I had forgotten one thing... now it's river ready.

Guy, you have done an amazing job. I have to agree with the others, it sure looks good. I hope it boats and floats as good as it looks.

Rick Newman

Guy,

i am truly impressed with your Drift Boat.  Now I have to make a trip out West soon and see yours and others up close.  Now we'll need to see some pics of it in the River(s) and some nice fish too.

Congratulations on a Job Well Done!

phil w.

Thanks Rick and thanks Phil.

I had hoped to have the boat in the water by now, but that has not happened. Last fall, when I did the float test, I bought two 9-1/2-ft Sawyer oars from Hyde Drift Boats here in Idaho Falls, ID. About three weeks ago I bought a third oar as a spare.  I get that oar home and it turned out to be a 9-ft oar mislabeled at the factory as a 9-1/2-ft oar.  So I go back to Hyde to work it out and sure enough, they received a shipment of four oars mislabeled in this way.

They ask if I can use three 9-ft oars and I tell them that the 9-1/2-ft oars seemed marginal last fall.  So to their great credit, the offered to take back all three oars and order three 10-ft oars for me.  I gladly accepted this offer.  However, we were all under the impression that Sawyer had these oars in stock, but that was not the case.  In fact, Sawyer does not routinely make this oar in a 10-ft length.  So they had to make the three 10-ft oars from start.  They should have shipped today and I expect them next week.

But I am very pleased with both Hyde and Sawyer and in the end it will be worth the wait.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service