Well, I decided to start building a boat around two months ago. I entertained this idea a few years back but never pursued the idea. I started fly fishing and saw the need for a boat. I could have bought a used boat for around the same overall cost, after you include a trailer. But what fun is that? No beauty in a boat like that.

I decided on the Freestone Guide. I have already modified my side panels adding a recurve. I couldnt get exact dimensions on this so I had to wing it. Who knows how she will shape up. I can always take more out if I dont like it.

Here is a photo of the work area, my dads shop. We will have to tear down a wall to get the boat out! His idea, I only obliged to it being a good one!

Views: 5950

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I snapped a few more photos after I intstalled the top spreaders and the transom.

I forgot to take a picture after I re-worked the stem. I decided to correct the bevel so the stem comes together nicely. I added temporary screws and removed all my stitches so I can skip the small filet step and go right into the final filet and biaxial tape.

The transom is wider than the original plan. Im not sure if I like it? The only other option is to add length to the sides by another scarf joint. Im not sure if I want to do this but I left the bottom long incase I do.

Josh,

Can you taper the bottom to bring the two sides closer together?  The boat will be a little shorter, but it would have the "normal" width transom.

Guy

Yes I guess I could. I hadnt thought of that though. I will have to contemplate that next time Im standing around staring at my progress!

Thanks alot, that never occured to me!

Josh, a popular boat building accessory is a "groaning chair". A place to sit and ponder the next few steps or situations to be resolved. I have to in my garage and they have gotten a fair bit of use.

Rick Newman

nice progress already.

Rick, in my shop, that is the "beer-thirty" chair.  Alot of staring at work done, assessing work to be done, and productivity goes downhill fast once the first double IPA is cracked.

Yeah, I see that being the norm. It seems like as soon as I find my groove, somebody stops by and we start yacking for an hour. Then when they leave, Im stuck staring and admiring my work!

Oh well, thats a good part of the fun in my eyes!

Josh,

The "key word" in Dave Z's reply above is "beer" or any adult beverage.  You need to be in the right frame of mind as your contemplating your next move.

Works for me!

Dorf

Thanks Dave!

I managed to find time last night to run my inside filets and biaxial tape. That was gratifying and went really well. I am very pleased with the results.

I also tapered the rear chine a little more to accept my transom, this resulted in a very desirable flair working from the chine to sheer. It turned out beautiful. However its very subtle and my camera wouldnt capture it quiet right.

Josh,

Looks like you've been real busy this weekend.  It's looking real good!

You using 6" Biaxial Tape?  Where from, the same source as your epoxy?

phil w

Yeah, I got it all from Raka. And yes, its 6" biaxial tape.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service